wall switch controls light not ceiling fan

Old 11-13-04, 10:55 AM
mikelite
Visiting Guest
wall switch controls light not ceiling fan

hey everyone, I've been reading a lot of great advice, so i thought I'd pose a question, see if someone could help.

A few weeks ago, I put up a ceiling fan in my bedroom. The instructions didn't say anything about a red wire (which I had coming from the ceiling) so I kinda ignored it. I went white to white, black & blue to black and it worked. Granted the wall socket didn't turn it on or off, but I left it as is.

I just went back up, fixed the wiring so it was black/black, white/white, red/blue and now, shazam, the wall controls the light...but not the fan. I'm confused. Could it be a problem with the building wiring or did I screw it up? Anyone know how I can fix it?

thanks a lot,
ML

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-04, 11:07 AM
Another member wrote in with basically the same problem. The answer is in the link below. Sounds like the same situation you have and maybe it will help you also.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=187818

Old 11-13-04, 11:28 AM
mikelite
Visiting Guest
majakdragon , thanks for getting back to me. I read through that post four or five times and I can't make sense of it. It sounds like Troy (AFVet) was having a slightly different problem with a diff't wiring connection. I could also be reading it wrong.

At the fan, I've got:
blackCeiling > blackFan
whiteCeiling > whiteFan
redCeiling > blueFan

I also checked the wall switch & the white isn't attached to anything. Only the black and red go into the switch. Should the white be attached to anything?

I'm gonna go back and read that post you recommended again and see if I can sift something out.

thanks,
ML

Old 11-13-04, 11:40 AM
mikelite
Visiting Guest
Okay, I think I might've sorted it all out. John Nelson says that red is switched hot and black is just hot. So that means that whatever is connected to the red at the fan will go on & off with the switch. That would mean that the blueFan wire only controls the light and not the fan? I just need to know which wire controls the fan?

Does this make sense? Am I on to something?

thanks again,
ML

(Can you tell I'm new to this?! BTW, if anyone needs Mac computer help, I'm your man.)

Old 11-13-04, 12:15 PM
mikelite
Visiting Guest
wall switch

Okay, scratch all of that. I went back up to the ceiling and checked everything out. turns out I've got three sets of wires coming down. Two sets of just black & white, then another set of B.W & Red. The two blacks match to the black on the fan, same for the whites. Then the Red goes to the blue on the fan.

Does that make sense?

Old 11-13-04, 08:32 PM
Try this link(complete with pictures) its from lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howT...htNavHomeDecor

click on or copy and paste.

Post back with the results and any questions you may have on this or future projects.

Old 11-24-04, 07:30 PM
mikelite
Visiting Guest
wall switch

k, figured it out.

I hooked the blue (lights) & the black (fan) wires from the fan to the red (switched) ceiling and SHAZAM! It worked!

thanks for all the help!