Need help and looking for suggestions

Old 11-10-04, 09:37 AM
wanabehandymom
Visiting Guest
Need help and looking for suggestions

on maybe a good book to help install wiring for our future shed/art studio. We are having a electrical contractor come out to the house and help us wire a shed that we are converting into a studio. I know this is generic but, does anyone know what steps we need to take to make sure that we don't mess up? The electrical contractor is a friend of ours... He know what he is doing but we want to learn about wiring ourselves. We hope to have heating, computer, recess lighting, and air conditioning, 3 outlets and a little fridge. This all need electricity and past that, I don't know what to do. But I want to learn!!! Help!!!

Thanks much

Old 11-10-04, 11:59 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The most important thing is to accurately predict your current and future power needs before you start. If you need more later, you'll have to rip out everything you do now. That's a bummer.

Old 11-12-04, 10:40 AM
tomwalshco
Visiting Guest
John is right, but to be more specific, you should add up all the amperage draw you think you'll need. add 50% and size the main wire and breaker box coming to shed accordingly. The feed to the shed should be off of a double pole braker from the main breaker box on the house.

It all sounds like pretty light-weight stuff except the air conditioner. 120V ? 240V ? amp ratings on the unit itself? 20A, 30A, 40A etc. All of your other stuff probably won't get near 20 amps. Lighting is also something to look at. Incandescent ? Flourescent ?

Also, what are you going to plug into the receptacles? If it's light, clocks and radios - that's one thing. If it's table saws, grinders, drills or other power tools, tha could be a whole other story.

Tell your electrician buddy to add up your amp demand based on what you plan on doing in there to size the wire. If he can't do that, better find another electrical buddy....

Old 11-12-04, 11:55 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"Basic Wiring by Black & Decker" is a good book and can be found at "Home Depot", "Lowes" or on the internet at "Amazon.com". It is simple and full of great pictures which leaves one with a better understanding of what is being read.

Old 11-13-04, 10:04 AM
Savant
Visiting Guest
It would be handy for us to know the dimentions of this shed and how far away it will be located from the house.

Something to consider... While you may want to use this as an 'art' studio, you should consider if a future owner could/would use it as a 'hardcore' workshop or the like. If so, you may want to include more electrical capacity to the shed so that you can use it as a selling point should you decide to sell in future. A shed with a couple 15A circuits isn't nearly as attractive as a shed with more capacity and ability to add more breakers/circuits.

As John said, predicting what you may/will use is very important. You don't have to go huge on power, but definately consider bigger than what you expect to leave expansion room. (of course this depends on the size of your new shed, if it's small it won't really matter)

Regards,

Savant

Old 11-13-04, 06:24 PM
wanabehandymom
Visiting Guest
Thanks !!! Have Printed Suggestions And Showed

Electrical buddy.... also, I was able to finally drill it into husband's head about future use....

Will keep updated....... I am learning a lot....... I LOVE IT!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: