PVC conduit & fixture box

Old 11-16-04, 05:45 AM
deep6blue
Visiting Guest
PVC conduit & fixture box

I have installed a new outdoor security light. It is mounted under the eave. The wiring is run inside PVC (Carlon brand) conduit with a surface mounted PVC junction box. (http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...223-E970CE-CTN). The conduit goes through the eave and into the attic, where the power is connected.

My problem is: This does not appear to be the correct box. It should be a fixture box I think. But I have not seen a fixture box that is rated for outdoor/wet use.

Has anyone seen a surface mounted box for outdoor locations? Where can I get one?

Thanks

Edit: My goal is to provide dusk-dawn lighting for a dark side of the house. Originally I had planned for using a motion detecting security light. But I have changed my mind, the light should be on all night. This is a simple fix, but the junction/fixture box question is what is holding me up right now.

Last edited by deep6blue; 11-16-04 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-16-04, 06:17 AM
Savant
Visiting Guest
Are you thinking of these? (the box comes with screw in plugs for any holes you don't use) Home Depot should have them, print out the info/picture and take it in.

Remember, the box won't be waterproof unless the cover is waterproof, and if you're mounting a fixture on it that will depend on whether the fixture is designed to be mounted on a waterproof box. In your case, with security lights, they usually sell a variety that is waterproof, and the mounting head cover should look something like this.

Regards,

Savant

Old 11-16-04, 06:19 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It says right in the description that it's a junction box.

They do make them, but none of the home supply places have their entire inventory online. I'd suggest just going to Home Depot (or Lowes) and looking at what they have on the shelf, don't see it, ask.. I've found most of the people working in speciallty areas like electrical have a pretty good idea of area they are working in, at least in my area.

For that matter, I seem to recall even seeing them at Wal Mart.

Old 11-16-04, 06:34 AM
deep6blue
Visiting Guest
Savant, that box is what I have. And the mounting cover is just what I need. I missed seeing that when I was at Lowes.

My first thought in this project was to use the junction box and mount the light to it. Which was wrong. I'll change it out and all should be well.

Thanks much.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: