Remodel.....(Electrical Questions)

Old 11-13-04, 08:57 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 21
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Remodel.....(Electrical Questions)


I have a three-unit building located in New York City which I am in the process of remodeling. Each unit has an electric meter and a breaker panel. There are two problems with this. First, the panels are FPE Stablock which should be replaced. Second, all three panels are located in the basement which is not normally open to occupants of the units. Electricity comes into the building into a single service disconnect box, then branches to the three meters, and then to the three FPE breaker panels.

I have run appropriately-sized four-wire bx cable to each unit, installed a new Murray breaker panel in each unit, and plan to connect each unit's individual circuits to the appropriate panel. I want to bypass each FPE panel and connect the new cable to each unit to the cable which currently connects each meter to the FPE panel. What I need to know is what type of box do I need for this purpose. Does it have to be fused? Since there is a central disconnect at the point where power enters the building, does the line to each unit have to be capable of being disconnected?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-13-04, 09:21 PM
ampz's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 513
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is the condidtion of the serivce from where its connected to the utility,including the meterbox & submains.If they are deteriorated they may need to be replaced.You need a service disconnect switch to feed each apartments panel.As long as the 4-wire cable you installed is properly sized you should be O.K.I dont know what specific codes are in N.Y.C

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: