Adding switch to pull chain fixture

Old 11-13-04, 09:50 PM
Janice1265
Visiting Guest
Adding switch to pull chain fixture

We moved into this house with a partially finished basement. The lighting seems to have been installed when the house was built. In one room, there is a pull chain light fixture, this is the first fixture in a line of 5. The other basement lights work off a switch at the top and bottom of the stairs. There is a light switch on the wall of the room with the pull chain light, that we can only assume that they wanted to hook up to this light. It is not connected to anything else (we checked as the walls and ceiling are still open on the other side and is dead. We thought that we accomplished connecting the switch to the fixture but soon realized that the other basement lights didn't operate with their respective switch. All of the switches would operate the new fixture, but the switch would also turn off all the other basement lights but then the original switch would not turn on any lights.

Can we install the switch that would only operate the new fixture that is replacing the pull chain fixture and then have the remaining 4 basement lights work off of their existing switch? Right now after we removed the pull chain fixture we have 2 sets of wires in the ceiling box and a disconnected switch and wiring.

Hoping I made sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-04, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Were there any wires or cables going to that switch before you touched it? If so, how many cables, how many wires, and how were they connected?

Old 11-14-04, 07:00 AM
Assuming that there was no wiring to the switch before you started, the answer to your question would be yes.

What you need to do is to use a piece of cable (most likely 14-2) and use it to run the hot (should be black) wire that connects to the light to the switch and then back to the light, where it will connect to the light.

Old 11-14-04, 08:01 AM
Janice1265
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by John Nelson
Were there any wires or cables going to that switch before you touched it? If so, how many cables, how many wires, and how were they connected?
Let me see if I can explain this better. Right now we have 2 sets of wires in the box in the ceiling. One set comes from the electrical panel and the other set is for the fixture (pull chain) which connects to the additional 4 lighting fixtures in our basement ceiling which runs off a switch at the bottom and top of the stairs. There is a switch on the wall, which has one set of wires coming out of it, which isn't live (yet). When we connected the wires, the fixture does work off the switch, but when that switch is off, it turns all the other lights off and then their respective switches will not turn them back on (obviously). So I am needing to figure out, how to run the wiring, so that the switch in that room, will only work that fixture and then the remaining lights in the basement to continue to work with their respective switch. I hope that I made better sense.

Thanks

Old 11-14-04, 08:04 AM
Janice1265
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by racraft
Assuming that there was no wiring to the switch before you started, the answer to your question would be yes.

What you need to do is to use a piece of cable (most likely 14-2) and use it to run the hot (should be black) wire that connects to the light to the switch and then back to the light, where it will connect to the light.
There was just one set (black/white/ground)of wires from the switch. The switch is in the wall not connected to anything other than the switch.

So I'll need to run another wire from the light to the switch and then back to the light?

Old 11-14-04, 10:07 AM
Your single cable running from the switch to the light is sufficient. Create a switch loop where the hot wire going to the light that you want switched is first sent to the switch (on the white wire) and is then sent back to the light (on the black wire) and connected to the light.