Switched Receptacle Question

Old 11-14-04, 08:15 AM
allenl
Visiting Guest
Switched Receptacle Question

I am installing a new garbage disposer in my remodelled kitchen. I have power going to a receptacle in the sink cabinet(first thing on the circuit) and there is one light fixture "downstream" from this receptacle. I want a switch in the cabinet for the receptacle/disposer. My question is, how can i switch the receptacle and not switch the light "downstream"?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-04, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A switch loop is probably the simplest answer. Run a new cable from this receptacle to the location of your new switch. Call the two existing cables in the receptacle box "X" and "Y". Call your new switch loop cable "S". At the receptacle box:
  • Use a wire nut to connect Xb to Yb to Sw.
  • Connect Sb to one of the black screws on the receptacle.
  • Connect Xw and Yw to the two silver screws on the receptacle
At the switch, connect Sb and Sw to the switch screws. Connect all grounding wires and screws in all boxes.

This makes your receptacle fully switched. If you'd like to make it half switched (allowing you to use half of it when the disposal is off):
  • Break out the tab on the brass-screw side of the receptacle.
  • Connect a pigtail to the Xb/Yb/Sw wire nut and run this pigtail to the other brass screw.

Old 11-14-04, 11:09 AM
allenl
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks John. It worked perfectly . One question, do I need to mark Sw with black marker to indicate that it's hot?

Old 11-14-04, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, Sw should be marked at both ends with a black marker to indicate that this white wire is hot. Code requires this reidentification, but it is very often omitted by people in a hurry.