wiring an addition

Old 11-14-04, 04:20 PM
dowy
Visiting Guest
Unhappy wiring an addition

I have recently finished an addition to my home, and am now ready to run the electrical wiring. I have done some minor electrical repairs and changes in my home, and with a bit of guidance, I would like to do the work in the new part of my home. My question is this, what would be the best source to run the new outlets and lights from? I want to install 2 outlets, a ceiling fan, and a closet light. Is a light switch a good source to use?

The past projects I have done were simple ones, such as changing out light fixtures, and adding a new switch. Can u tell me how the wiring ciruit works? So that I don't dead end my electric?

Thank you so much for any advice or help you can offer me!

Old 11-14-04, 04:24 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whatever you do will have to be inspected once it is complete.

Unless you have a very unusual addition, you will likely need at least four receptacles.

Since electricity can kill and start fires, and since this will have to be inspected (usually twice), I strongly suggest that you read several book on electrical wiring and plan this accordingly.

Old 11-14-04, 07:50 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you have a new addition, you should add one or more circuits, starting with new breakers in the panel, to serve it. Tapping off existing circuits is unwise. Chances are they already have enough to do.

This is a very serious project. This isn't just adding a couple of new receptacles. You should not start this project without considerable study of techniques and codes. As Bob says, start by reading at least three books on home wiring, cover to cover.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: