new fan fried breaker

Old 11-15-04, 02:09 PM
Fordarama
Visiting Guest
Question new fan fried breaker

My father lives in a mobile home and he had a ceiling fan that suddenly went out, it turns off and on with a wall switch..He had a friend use a meter on it and said it was burned out. So he had his friend install a new one. He put up the new one, except for the blades, He deceided to test it by putting a light bulb in...Nothing happened...He then thought it might be the wall switch, he tried to by pass the switch by wireing the black and white wires together, then switched on the breaker....it burned the breaker up...went out and bought another breaker, It burned up as well.....He finally got tired of trying to install it and went home..It turned out that he wired the ground wire in with the black and white wires..don't have to be a genius to figure out that was bad....It melted the black wire to the wall switch and the wires to the breaker....My father had a man he knows come over and check out the wires with a meter and he says it seems to have a short somewhere, My father thinks maybe that the white and the black wires melted somewhere along the line and is causing a short..I checked the outlet that is nearest the wall switch and the wires look to be fine....It turns out that half of the wall outlets in his living room and my moms bedroom and the bathroom are on that same breaker....So one of my questions is would all of the wires to the outlets be bad even if they look ok...?? and do any of you have a suggestion>? A electrician would end up costing them several hundred dollars and it would really effect their pocketbook...Any help would be appreciated....

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-04, 03:09 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
At this point I think your only options are to either re-run all the wire yourself (which, based on the extremely dangerous things your father was doing to your electrical system, you may not have the neccessary experience for) or hire an electrican to troubleshoot your system.

In my non-expert opinion, I would say you have just crossed the line from do it yourself to absolutely needing an electrican so your trailer doesn't burn down with you in it. This is a saftey issue. If your wires are melting in the bathroom and are on the same circuit as your bedroom (not up to code btw), then your bedroom lines could be at risk as well and possilby already permanently damaged.

I think it is time to call an electrican no matter the cost. Don't take my opinion on it, I am just a DIYer. (although I am certified in my town: which means nothing )

Good Luck! Stay Safe!

Old 11-15-04, 03:26 PM
What size breaker, and what size wire are we talking about?

Old 11-15-04, 04:34 PM
Fordarama
Visiting Guest
well, It's my parents that live in a manufactured home, not me....I live in a nice house...But anyway...It is the ceiling fan in the living room......Their house is only 6 years old......The breaker is a 30 amp........and the wire is standard house hold size......And it was not my father that messed up the wireing it was a neighbor that does handyman work for a living.....I am female and i wired up the main meter loop to my parents house, but this is a little over my knowledge...any more ideas????

Old 11-15-04, 05:32 PM
I thought this story was as bad as it could get after the first post. But putting a ceiling fan on a 30-amp breaker is a serious code violation. I suggest you get a professional in there before the place burns down to see what other hazards have been created.

Every single aspect of this entire story sounds like a lot of well-meaning people with absolutely no idea of what they were doing.

RUN!!! If you have children, don't let them loose in that house for a minute. Sending them out to play in traffic would be safer.

Old 11-15-04, 05:40 PM
When I read that this was a trailer and that the wire had melted such as it did, I suspected that there might be a breaker that is too large.

It is fairly common for people to use larger breakers than they should in trailers. However, trailers burn quite well. And usually they are fatal fires when someone is home.

Bring in a professional before someone gets killed. The whole setup sounds fly by night and very dangerous.

Old 11-16-04, 01:09 PM
Fordarama
Visiting Guest
well, The mobile home is built to code..any how, what fried the wires was the neighbor trying to by pass the switch, but he twisted the black hot wire with the white and the ground, which caused a short...And now the wires are fused together all the way to the breaker....My father had a electrician come out today and said it would cost atleast $500 to $900 to repair the damage...If he can even get to all the wiring..In manufactured homes the run the wiring along the metal beams in the flooring....All of this mess because he trusted a neighbor to help him put up a simple fan....I or my husband could have done it without all of this mess, but his neighbor offered, and my dad thought my husband and i were to busy....bad thing is his house is only 6 years old and it's really nice....let you know what else happens...

Old 11-16-04, 02:07 PM
general purpose wiring on a 30 amp breaker is not up to code and is a fire hazard.

A 15 or 20 amp breaker might have tripped before the meltdown.

Fix this fire hazard before a death occurs.

Old 11-16-04, 03:50 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
"RUN!!! If you have children, don't let them loose in that house for a minute. Sending them out to play in traffic would be safer."

True.

Old 11-17-04, 11:48 AM
That's 2 posts in 2 weeks that discuss 30 amp breakers in a mobile home. Might I ask the brand of mobile home? If the home was wired that way from the manufacturer, call a lawyer. In the meantime, please call an electrician to look at all the wiring immediately. Document everything he finds. If a wire melted in the wall, the fact that it didn't start a fire is pure luck. I hope the other posts have made it clear that, no matter who's fault it is or what caused it to be discovered, this home is not safe.

Doug M.

Old 11-18-04, 12:22 PM
Fordarama
Visiting Guest
It was on a 15 amp breaker, It was my mistake, because the breakers were two fifteens that were side by side...