SPDT switch from generator automatic transfer switch?

Old 11-15-04, 03:17 PM
DocSavage
Visiting Guest
SPDT switch from generator automatic transfer switch?

Hello. I am trying to understand how my automatic transfer switch for my stand-by power generator works. I was hoping someone here would know.

My wiring diagram for the automatic transfer switch indicates that 3 pins are used to automatically start the generator. pins 4,5,6. pin 4 and 5 go to(or are part of?) a single pole double throw 5amp 30 VDC switch that closes to run. pin 5 and 6 go to (or are part of) a single pole double throw 5 amp 30 VDC max switch that opens to run. Note pin 5 is shared across both of these alleged switches. At the moment, all I want is some sort of electrical change that I can count on. So far I have not been able to read any electrical activity across these pins. Does the battery on the generator supply the power to these pins? The owner manual for this asco 165 auto transfer switch says to make all connections to the controller with the generator battery disconnected(during installation).

Part of the problem is that I bought a generator that is not intended for autostart. I intend to make it autostart using a servo-motor to turn the key(and this 1 other switch it has). The servo motors(2) will be under control of my home automation system(yet to be bought). But I do need a better understanding of what's going on with these related spdt switches. I already have the rest of the connections for the asco auto transfer switch wired up and it works fine(my generator provides good power to my breaker box) assuming I manually throw all switches.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-04, 06:12 PM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
pin 5 is common
pin 4 is normally open (NO) when power is present on grid. it would close when power goes off.
pin 6 is normally closed(NC) when power is on grid. It would open when power goes off.

These pins need to be used like the ingintion switch on your car to start the gennny. There is no power supplied by these pins. They are only a low voltage switch.

Use thes contacts to trigger your home automation system. Your home automation needs to be battrey backup or it will be dead when time comes to activate the genny.

Old 11-15-04, 06:44 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Here is a link to the asco site to view the drawing on your transfer switch. Need adobe to read. Link is to home page then hold cursor on automatic transfer switches, one menu appears hold cursor on model 165 another menu appears click on drawings, then choose 165 P. I believe Joed is correct as I see the drawing. The drawing is shown in its de-energized state.

http://www.asco.com/home.htm

Last edited by Roger; 11-15-04 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-16-04, 06:53 AM
DocSavage
Visiting Guest
let me make sure I understand

My guess as to what I should do after reading your posts(thank you very much for those , by the way) is that I should provide battery power(from either my home automation system or the generator battery) to pin 5. At which time, when utility power fails, I will see voltage go high on pin 4. Do I understand that correctly?

Part of what bothers me here is that I keep looking for the physical equivalent of the knife throw and I can't find it. Is this the way I should look at this?

pin 5 is the single pole. connecting a battery to this pole powers the switch(and it is just 1 switch). the 'throw' is either going to pin 4 or 6 , depending on whether utility power is available. when utility power is off, the throw moves to pin 4 lighting it up with the battery power. when power is on, the throw connects pin5 to pin 6 and pin 6 is now hot.

just looking at the wiring schematic makes me think there are 2 spdt switches and I keep wanting to add another wire to each switch(and add a knife switch!). bad instinct I suppose highlighting my inexperience. gotta get your brain wired right before you can get your wires wired right.

Old 11-16-04, 11:01 AM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
Whether you connect a battery to pin 5 depends on your security system. What type of input does your security system need to trigger you starter assembly? It could be that you only need to connect it direct to the security system. It could be looking for a closed switch.

Old 11-17-04, 11:20 AM
DocSavage
Visiting Guest
having cake and eating it too

I see what you mean. I see that I shouldn't just patch in additional batteries willy-nilly. I was thinking of using one of the automation-type systems sold through www. smarthomeuse .com. RCS,JDS,Elk are some of the types there. If I bought that $31 Elk controller module then I could have a very inexpensive self contained setup to activate my generator. I'm still talking about getting a couple of little $30 buck servo motors to turn the key and flip the kill switch on the generator. Not too bad considering that some of the generator control boards (to accomplish the same general result)you can buy run around $500+ (the one(s) that I could find). And if you put one of those on your generator then I got the impression that the resulting arrangement wouldn't really be portable. One of my goals is to retain the ability to disconnect a clamp or 2 and then trundle off the generator on it's wheels to somewhere else to use it. Which was one reason why I didn't just buy a generator specifically setup to be a fixed-location standy power source. That and the fact I managed to get the generator for half-price(good old internet shopping). There's nothing like having your cake and eating it too.

Old 11-18-04, 09:41 AM
DocSavage
Visiting Guest
errr..smarthomeusa not smarthomeuse

smarthomeusa not smarthomeuse is the valid www..com address. there's actually 2 or 3 of these sites. I think www. smarthome. com is actually a related site. don't remember what that 3rd similar site was

Old 11-02-08, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Vik

Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
Hello. I am trying to understand how my automatic transfer switch for my stand-by power generator works. I was hoping someone here would know.

My wiring diagram for the automatic transfer switch indicates that 3 pins are used to automatically start the generator. pins 4,5,6. pin 4 and 5 go to(or are part of?) a single pole double throw 5amp 30 VDC switch that closes to run. pin 5 and 6 go to (or are part of) a single pole double throw 5 amp 30 VDC max switch that opens to run. Note pin 5 is shared across both of these alleged switches. At the moment, all I want is some sort of electrical change that I can count on. So far I have not been able to read any electrical activity across these pins. Does the battery on the generator supply the power to these pins? The owner manual for this asco 165 auto transfer switch says to make all connections to the controller with the generator battery disconnected(during installation).

Part of the problem is that I bought a generator that is not intended for autostart. I intend to make it autostart using a servo-motor to turn the key(and this 1 other switch it has). The servo motors(2) will be under control of my home automation system(yet to be bought). But I do need a better understanding of what's going on with these related spdt switches. I already have the rest of the connections for the asco auto transfer switch wired up and it works fine(my generator provides good power to my breaker box) assuming I manually throw all switches.
Hi, don't use servo motors please! There is a better option to run your genset automatically. Please see this: Automatic Generator Control Module
Regards,
Vik