code for number of plugs per breaker

Old 11-15-04, 04:55 PM
welder2085
Visiting Guest
code for number of plugs per breaker

I am in the process of building a house and have a question about how many plugs you can run from 1 20 amp breaker, if any one can help it will be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-04, 05:06 PM
In the U.S., the National Electrical Code places no restrictions on the number of outlets on a residential circuit. Put a thousand on it if you want. Of course, there are many other considerations that would suggest that that is a bad idea, but it's not regulated by code, and you asked about code.

Some cities place limits not in the NEC, so always check locally.

Rule of thumb is no more than ten. But there are a lot of reasons you might go higher or lower.

Old 11-15-04, 05:09 PM
First off, with 20amp breakers, unless you're using 20amp receptacles, there's a minimum number as well, two. I.E. if you have only one 15amp rec. on a 20amp breaker, the receptacle could be over its rating before the breaker would trip. As far as maximum, I'm not a proffesional sparky, but know a fair bit about the work, and I don't know if it's code or just something that got stuck in my head along the way, but I don't put more than 7 or 8 devices, be it lights or rec. or whatever, on one breaker. Single poles are cheap, and if you have a 40 space 200amp service you shouldn't run out of room.

Old 11-15-04, 05:11 PM
John types faster than me...lol.....there ya have it...from a pro...good luck with the new house.

Old 11-15-04, 05:52 PM
In Canada I think the limit is 12.

Old 11-15-04, 06:46 PM
jproffer's answer may be a bit misleading.

While it is true that you cannot have a single 15 amp receptacle on a 20 amp circuit, this only applies if this is a simplex receptacle. A standard 15 amp duplex receptacle can be the only item on a 20 amp circuit without violating code.