GE circuit breaker interchangeability

Old 11-15-04, 07:29 PM
tedk
Visiting Guest
GE circuit breaker interchangeability

I need to replace a GE type TQL-AC, 15 amp breaker. This breaker is designed for use with CU or AL conductors. I can not find this breaker on web sites or at Home Depot. Perhaps it has been obsoleted. Can anyone tell me if it has been replaced with a newer design?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-04, 06:31 AM
Near as I can tell, the TQL's have been discontinued. You can buy reconditioned breakers for older panels (www.californiabreakers.com is one, or do a web search).

I've also read that the THQL will fit the space, but they won't line up with the panel cover, you'd have to make the hole larger in the panel.. Both cases would put the panel out of code (non listed breaker, modified panel).

Old 11-16-04, 04:35 PM
tedk
Visiting Guest
Thank you Pendragon for the info and link.

I found out that the breaker is ok. I have one breaker that controls the lights in five rooms. The lights will not work in three of the five rooms. Tomorrow I'll be up in the attic tracing cables. Hopefully it will be a loose wirenut some where.

Why would GE discontinue a breaker without offering a subsitute? Shame on them!! Changing the panel would be a major job -- stucco repair and etc. Anyway -- thanks again and I will post my findings.

Old 11-17-04, 01:47 PM
tedk
Visiting Guest
I found the problem. I tracked the wires to a large junction box. Inside the box were three hot wires (two aluminum and one copper) twisted together. The wire nut had melted away. The copper wire was only wrapped for about half the length of the aluminum wires. The wire nut never had a chance to hold the wires securely. The end of the wires were just touching the inside of the metal junction box. I consider myself very lucky that there was no other damage.

Old 11-17-04, 01:56 PM
You have a more serious issue to deal with.

Copper and aluminum wires can only be joined in a certain manner. They cannot simply be joined with a wire nut.

You need to correct this problem immediately. You're lucky you didn't have a fire.