Outdoor Conduit

Old 11-15-04, 09:19 PM
jt8282
Visiting Guest
Outdoor Conduit

I am installing several security lights outside and need to run some wires. I was told that PVCs are for underground and metal conduit for anything above ground. Is that true? I need to make several turns and the parts I found in local HD is rather inadequate for making 90 degree turns with metal conduit. I heard in California PVCs can be used above a certain height.

My question is, can I used PVCs? If I can only use metal to make turns around the corner of the wall (outside), how should I do it.

Thanks,
Joe.

Old 11-15-04, 09:44 PM
P Michael
Visiting Guest
Cool

It's more of a rule of thumb. You can use rigid conduit underground but it will rust. PVC doesn't ever rust so it's probably the best choice for underground. However it doesn't stand up to trenching equipment very well.
But you situation seems to be above ground around the cornices of your home. EMT would work here. To get around outside corners, the most elegant way is to use what is known as a condulet or "LB". A cheaper alternative would to be to use a box. Go in one side and come out the back -- if you know what I mean. Since this is outdoors, it would be best to use weather proof boxes so the LBs would be price competetive.
~Peter

Old 11-19-04, 10:52 AM
jt8282
Visiting Guest
Thank you

Thank you so much, Peter. Didn't get to check the thread for a few days and didn't realize how fast the advice come. I think I will go with the LB approach.

Joe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: