Baseboard Heat - What did I do wrong

Old 11-17-04, 06:59 AM
TheColt
Visiting Guest
Baseboard Heat - What did I do wrong

ok here's the story.

i have a dedicated 220 line installed and have it running from the panel to a room wall thermostat and then to that rooms heater, all is good.

Ran a line from that rooms wall thermostat to another wall thermostat in an other room and then to that rooms heater, all is good.

last night i added another heater, wired from the last rooms wall thermostat to this last heater but used an on-board thermostat as i don't have access to put in another wall thermostat.

Problem is the last wall thermostat is controlling the power to the last heater with the on-board thermostat. when it shuts off it shuts off the power to the last heater installed on the circuit.

all my thermostats are single pole, wall and on-board

what's wrong here and how do i fix it?

thanks

Old 11-17-04, 07:29 AM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Somehow you have connected the last heater (the one with the built-in stat) to the switched side of the stat in the previous room. You need to move that connection to the incoming side of the stat.
I am a bit confused when you say the stats are single-pole. Since both legs of 240V are hot, shouldn't you be using double-pole stats?
I defer to others on this, so if I am missing something, let me know.

Old 11-17-04, 08:04 AM
TheColt
Visiting Guest
well they all have two wires on them but they call them single pole. there is no reason why this shouldn't work though is there?

Old 11-17-04, 09:20 AM
TheColt
Visiting Guest
so

if i understand you correctly your saying if i change the line to the last heater, from one wire to the other in the wall thermostat i should be able to have a continuous supply of power to the last heater.

Old 11-17-04, 02:06 PM
TheColt
Visiting Guest
anyone? i'm not sure what to do here

Old 11-17-04, 02:22 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Move the wires that go to the last heater from the load side of the thermostat to the line side of the thermostat.

Old 11-17-04, 02:35 PM
I would question running all of these heaters off of one circuit. What are the current requirements for each of the heaters? What is the breaker sized at? What size wire was used on each of the feeds? Are there only 2 wires on the thermostat or 4? WHo installed the first heater?

Old 11-17-04, 02:49 PM
TheColt
Visiting Guest
doh, thanks racraft.

i'm in canada our local code says 3750 watts per 20 amps. i'm trying to use 10 watts per square foot.

I only have a 1750, 1000 and 500 hooked up to this circuit.

got it working now thanks guys

Old 11-17-04, 06:58 PM
B
There are both single pole t-stats and double pole t-stats. By using single pole, you are only disconnecting one hot leg of the heater. I recommend using double pole t-stats.

No, Andrew you are not missing anything about the t-stats.

Old 11-18-04, 05:08 AM
TheColt
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by bob100
There are both single pole t-stats and double pole t-stats. By using single pole, you are only disconnecting one hot leg of the heater. I recommend using double pole t-stats.

No, Andrew you are not missing anything about the t-stats.
Why? there twice as much money and the single pole works fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: