AC=>DC adapter

Old 11-17-04, 03:36 PM
PirateJoe
Visiting Guest
AC=>DC adapter

ok, i recently got a battery charger for my remote controlled car. when it came, i noticed that it had no plug, but instead it had two aligator clips. so what i need is an AC->12V DC adapter that you can clip aligator clips to. so like: wall outlet->adapter->aligator clips. does anybody know where i could find something like this?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-04, 03:39 PM
Sounds like it is made to work off a 12 volt battery. You could charge you remote car form your automobile.
You could use a 12 volt auto battery charger as the source for new battery charger.

Old 11-17-04, 04:10 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
Get a 12 V car battery trickle charger with alligator clips and just connect the aligator clips together. I think this would be the cheapest/economical solution, plus, you'd have a car battery charger for the inevitable dead battery.

Watch it charge a few times, This still could fry your battery.

Old 11-19-04, 04:15 PM
PirateJoe
Visiting Guest
ok, i found a car battery charger here: http://www.autobarn.net/acse-1052.html

it has a 2 amp trickle charge, a 10 amp fast charge and a 50 amp super fast charge. the dc charger that im going to hook my remote controlled car up to is a 3.2 amp fast charger. the fuse on the charger says 7.2 amps. so i know that the 10 amp fast charge is too much, and the 2 amp trickle charge is too little. i've searched for a while and all i found were like that. can anyone point me the direction of one that has a 12V 7.2 Amp output?

EDIT: and whats the standard output in amps for a car battery?

Old 11-19-04, 04:48 PM
The amp rating are the max. I doesn't mean it puts out 10 amps all the time. As the voltage of the battery rises closer to full charge the charger output lowers.

Old 11-19-04, 07:02 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
Geez, 70 bucks.

I was thinking more of 15 maybe 20 dollars for a simple trickle charge/booster you should be able to find at any NAPA, Arnolds, Oreilies, etc...

Old 11-20-04, 05:43 AM
I've got a simular charger for my remote controlled boat. The idea is that you can recharge your batteries from a car battery while you are in the field. You can have a spare battery on charge while you are using the other one. Just get a small trickle charger and a Gell Cell 12 volt battery and you will be good to go.

Old 11-20-04, 08:06 AM
PirateJoe
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by SkyKing
Geez, 70 bucks.

I was thinking more of 15 maybe 20 dollars for a simple trickle charge/booster you should be able to find at any NAPA, Arnolds, Oreilies, etc...
i was hoping that too, but a trickle charger only outputs like 10mA or something like that. i need something that is going to keep up with the 3.2amps output that my current charger has.(the one with the aligator clips)

Old 11-20-04, 08:36 AM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
It isn't neccessary to have it keep up with the 3.2amps... If you just want to charge it, buy a SLA 12 volt battery rated at 8AH and you'll be fine for a long time. Then use a standard car charger to charge the battery you bought.

I got a 12V 8A/H battery from Interstate Batteries to boost the speed of a Power Wheels toy (put in series with a 6V that came with it). The speed difference was incredible, but I digress.

Have fun and good luck!

Old 11-20-04, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=SkyKing]I got a 12V 8A/H battery from Interstate Batteries to boost the speed of a Power Wheels toy (put in series with a 6V that came with it). The speed difference was incredible, but I digress.
QUOTE]

I hope you put air bags and seatbelts in that Power Wheels!! Great idea! My kids would love it.