Wiring a new construction bathroom

Old 11-17-04, 06:05 AM
jdett
Visiting Guest
Question Wiring a new construction bathroom

Hi,
I'm building a new bathroom in my basement. I was planning on running a dedicated circuit for the GFI outlet. I will also have one light above the vanity and a separate combo light/fan.

Can I power all of the above on one 20amp circuit? Or should I have the lights/fan on a separate circuit?

Thanks

Last edited by jdett; 11-17-04 at 06:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-17-04, 06:12 AM
sjr
Visiting Guest
You can put bathroom lights and fans on the same circuit as the receptacles as long as the branch circuit serves only that bathroom. Yes, it should be a 20A circuit, and (sorry if this is obvious) you must use 12 AWG wire for everything.

There are reasons for keeping the lights/fans on a different circuit, but none that are so compelling that I would recommend doing so. I have the light and fan in my bathroom on the same circuit as the receptacle and found it easier than trying to tap another circuit for the light and fan.

Old 11-17-04, 08:02 AM
jdett
Visiting Guest
one other question:

Do I put the GFI at the end of the circuit? Or before the lights and fan?

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-17-04, 08:33 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Order doesn't matter. It's up to you whether you want to GFCI protect the lights and fan or not. Such protection is not required. If you put the GFCI ahead of the lights and fan, you can choose to protect them or not based on whether you connect the downstream cable to the line side or the load side of the GFCI. I guess I'd recommend not protecting them.

Old 11-17-04, 09:36 AM
lee330
Visiting Guest
I am actually in the same situation but will be installing a toilet with an ejection system built in. From the manufacturer's specs the toilet only draws 5-6 amps when used. Can this be on the same GFI circuit or does this need to be on a separate circuit? Thanks

Old 11-17-04, 02:10 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your ejection system can be on the same circuit, if you want it to be. But becareful about flushing the toilet while running the curling iron and the hairdryer, or you may be in the dark.

Old 11-17-04, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
But becareful about flushing the toilet while running the curling iron and the hairdryer, or you may be in the dark.
On the toilet while drying your hair....So thats how to get ready quicker in the mornings

Old 11-17-04, 11:41 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
That works out great then because I prefer to use my hair dryer and curling iron while i'm taking a bath.. not on toilet

Old 11-18-04, 11:13 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
You could have the iron plugged in while you sat down to do your business. It's not that unlikely a situation to use them both at once.

Old 11-18-04, 01:14 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
Humor is wasted on some

Old 11-20-04, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by SkyKing
Humor is wasted on some
Unfourtunately, most of the time it is my wife!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: