Multiple lights on stairway.

Old 11-19-04, 07:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Multiple lights on stairway.

My application is a stairway with 3-way switches top and bottom connected with 14/3 (supply hot to bottom switch common terminal, red and black travelers between switches, top switch common terminal bought back as white taped black).

I want lights at the top and bottom of the stairs; as far as I can see, I will have to run a separate 14/2 to interconnect the lights. None of my books show more than one light on a 3-way circuit, so by connecting the lights with the extra 14/2 I am presenting only one load to the 3-way circuit. Am I right or am I missing something?

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-04, 07:52 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running a new cable from the old light to the new light is the simplest and most fool-proof way to accomplish this goal. At the old light, simply connect the black and white of the new cable to exactly what the black and white of the old light is connected to. This algorithm cannot fail no matter how this whole thing is currently wired.

Old 11-19-04, 08:04 AM
J
Received 237 Votes on 208 Posts
Only one thing to add. I beleive code says to use the white as a traveller. The switched hot needs to be a black or red wire. The white still need to be colored black.