flourescent lights malfunction when the fan is turned on

Old 11-19-04, 08:53 PM
mageejh
Visiting Guest
flourescent lights malfunction when the fan is turned on

I recently installed some fluorescent shop light fixtures from the home improvement store in a utility room. They worked fine until I turned on a fan that was plugged into a different outlet. They flickered on and off whenever I turned the fan on, and after only a few times all but one bulb stopped working at all. I don't want to replace them only to have the same thing happen again. Can this be because I used inexpensive fixtures, and would more expensive fluorescent fixtures have the same problem? The ceiling lights, also flurorescent, work fine when the fan is on.

Thanks.

Old 11-19-04, 09:14 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The word "installed" covers a lot of ground. Can you tell us exactly what you did to "install" them?

Old 11-19-04, 09:42 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
Sounds like a ballast issue. Higher quality ballasts are less "touchy" to current changes on the circuit. I have had this happen to me as well when I built one of my shops. Large current draws from electric motors (such as routers, table saws, hand saws, drill presses, band saws, etc...)would make mine flicker as well. I upgraded the ballast and it works fine.

But this is my opinion only. John knows far more about electrical things than I.

Good luck!

Old 11-21-04, 08:27 PM
mageejh
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your responses. I guess I was a little vague.

I used pre-made shop lights, pretty inexpensive ones that just plug into the wall. When the fan (a free-standing floor fan) was turned on they buzzed and flickered and went out, and now they won't go back on, even with new bulbs.

I did figure out that I made a mistake that might be the problem, which I'm going to try fixing to see if it solves it. I put T-8 bulbs in a T-12 fixture. I thought fluorescent bulbs were all the same. I'm going to get some T-12 bulbs, and I'm hoping that the fixtures will work with the new bulbs. But I'm afraid that I may have permanently damaged the fixtures.

Old 11-21-04, 08:29 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
they are 10 bucks. You won't be out too much.

Old 11-22-04, 03:12 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's possible that the receptacles you installed for the lights were installed wrong. How did you install them? Are the receptacles properly grounded. Did you use the screw terminals, rather than the back stabs?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: