electricity goes out when i use blowdryer

Old 11-19-04, 10:02 PM
cookie2cute
Visiting Guest
electricity goes out when i use blowdryer

Hi....I recently bought a new blow dryer and the watts are not as much as my old one but everytime I use it about 1/10 of my house loses all electricity....what would cause this? Thank you much

Old 11-20-04, 04:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the whole house goes out, then tell us the the main fuse or breaker trip, or just the smaller fuse/breaker for that circuit serving the hair dryer outlet?
Is there any pattern as to what other stuff is on when this occurs (ie toaster and dryer, or electric oven and dryer, or electric hot water heater and dryer, etc)

Old 11-20-04, 05:13 AM
R
Where are you using this hair dryer (bedroom, bathroom, etc), and what else is on the same circuit?

Old 11-20-04, 09:00 AM
J
Received 517 Upvotes on 422 Posts
How do you get the electcity back? Turn on a breaker? Reset a GFCI? Turn off the hair dryer and it comes back on its own?

Old 11-20-04, 11:23 PM
cookie2cute
Visiting Guest
Hi...Thank you for the responses...It is not the main breaker that blows out (or whatever the term is)...and there is not any rhyme or reason as to what other things are running...it has happened without the tv and fan etc going and it has happened with these things on..in other words it happens at many different circumstances...and I do know how to turn it back on at the fusebox but I am more just curious as to what would seemingly out of the blue cause this to happen? I bought my house 4 yrs ago and at the time it was only 6 yrs old so I am sure the wiring is probably ok...Right now it is more of an annoyance than anything els but I would like to know if I should be more concerned...thanks

Old 11-21-04, 04:59 AM
What do you do to bring power back? Or has it happened once and it is still out?
This will help us understand.

Old 11-21-04, 08:42 AM
J
Received 517 Upvotes on 422 Posts
Sounds like you are turning the breaker back on. That means you are overloading the circuit. Is this a new hair dryer? Could be higher wattage than your old one.
Slight chance it is a defective breaker. Can you swap the wire to the breaker with the wire to another breaker of the same size?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: