Hot Tub Wiring Outside

Old 11-20-04, 09:53 AM
GWaller
Visiting Guest
Hot Tub Wiring Outside

I have a hot tub that I moved over from my previous house. I was inside at my old house, but now I am setting it up outside.

Can I use the wiring that I used from the previous house? It has Red, Black, White and a solid copper for ground.

What is the advantage of having the 4th green wire instead of the single ground?

Thanks for the help. If you need more info to answer, let me know.

Greg

Old 11-20-04, 09:58 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
For outside wiring the ground MUST be insulated, per code. You must run individual conductors of the appropriate gauge for the breaker, or larger, based on the distance and voltage drop considerations.

There are other very specific requirements for outside install as well. Make sure that you understand and follow them as well.

Old 11-20-04, 10:08 AM
GWaller
Visiting Guest
So, does that mean its own insulation?

The green wire would then be the ground?

Do you know of any sites that would have a picture I could look at?

Thanks

Old 11-20-04, 12:58 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
I am undertaking the exact same task!

The three wire plus one is: two hots an neutral and a ground. The two hots bring in power for your 220V equipment and you need the neutral for some 120V circuitry that is in there as well. You need the ground just like you would in any other 120V circuit.

So basically, the neutral is there because you have 120V equipment under your tub.

Now, you'll need a spa disconnect that is GFCI rated and it must be located from 5 to 15 ft from your spa. If you use Non-Metalic Flexible conduit, you'll probably want it 6ft away (since you're not supposed to have NMFC any longer than 6ft and you have to be at least 5ft from the tub). You can buy a disconnect at any chain home improvement center. They are pretty cool, considering buying just the GFI breaker by itself is almost twice as expensive as buying it in the load center. I needed 60Amp breaker GFI and had a heck of a time finding one. CuttlerHammer? has one that I ended up finding at Menards for 109.00. Not too bad considering Midwest sells one for 130.00 and the only 60 amp gfi's I could find were 250-300.

I'll be running THHN 2 to the disconnect from the main panel (although I'm not yet sure if I can use THHN for this situation) in 2 1/2" schedule 80 conduit.

I only had a 100 amp service panel so I had to upgrade to 200 amp, and now I have to have the power company come out and put in new underground line.

But it is an extremely informative and fun project. Most of my information comes from here or the 2002 NEC. It's worth the 65.00 for the book in my opinion. Also, maybe the "Guide to the NEC" would be an addtional benefit, but I don't yet have that.

Good Luck! Have fun. If you need any help, John is a great resource, and since I'm in the process of doing it, you are more than welcome to ask me (although I'm just a DIYer).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: