Adding an Outlet from a Switch with 2 Lights

Old 11-20-04, 06:07 PM
windomino
Visiting Guest
Post Adding an Outlet from a Switch with 2 Lights

Hello, I currently have a switch and two lights in my boiler room. This is a dedicated line for the boiler room. The switch controls the two light above.
I am trying to add an outlet. Can anyone help out? I have tried and what I have come up with is the lights are dim and the outlet has power. Oh I also change the light to accept two connection. And when one attached the light and the other the switch I get what I want. But if I turn the switch off anything plugged into the outlet turnsoff also.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-04, 06:12 PM
Where are you trying to add the receptacle? From the switch, or from the light? What is the wiring at the switch or the light, and how are you connecting the wires for the receptacle?

Old 11-20-04, 06:16 PM
windomino
Visiting Guest
Post Adding an Outlet from a Switch with 2 Lights

I was trying to add the outlet from the light, that would be the second light in the boiler room. You see the main line comes in from the breaker box to the first light then I wire that up to the other light and the switch controls the both. Where can I add the switch? Also can I build off of that outlet to another outlet later. Thanks

Old 11-20-04, 06:24 PM
With normal wiring, you cannot add an unswitched receptacle from the second light. Where is the switch now? You would need to connect the receptacle wires to either the switch or the first light, but it depends on the exact wiring.

Tell us the wires at the switch and at the lights. Be specific, and tell us all the wires and how they are connected.

Old 11-20-04, 06:29 PM
windomino
Visiting Guest
Adding an Outlet from a Switch with 2 Lights

Ok, lets see if I can explain this. Well, like I mentioned the main comes from the box to the first light fixture which has four screws. Two are gold and two are silver. Now in there I have the second light fixture going to the first light fixture and then I also have the switch going to the first light fixture. In there I remember making a white wire a hot. I put piece of electric tape on it. With this I contol the two light fixtures with the one switch. Where can I add the outlet? Thanks

Old 11-20-04, 08:27 PM
You must run the receptacle (and receptacle is the proper term) from the light, or you must replace the cable going to the switch with three conductor cable and then you can run the receptacle from the switch.

Old 11-21-04, 01:44 AM
windomino
Visiting Guest
Ok, if I run it from the recepticle how do I do this?

Old 11-21-04, 06:16 AM
Connect the black wire for the receptacle to the incoming black power wire wire. From your description, this should be the same wire that is connected to the white wire (marked with black tape) that goes to the switch.

Connect the white wire for the receptacle to the incoming white power wire. This should be the same wire that is connected to the white wire for the first light and white wire that goes to the second light.

Connect the bare ground wire to the ground wires.

Old 11-21-04, 10:25 AM
windomino
Visiting Guest
Thanks I will attempt this and get back to you.