in-line wire strippers

Old 11-21-04, 11:26 AM
in-line wire strippers

I have heard about these but I cannot seems to find them anywhere. What I am looking for is "in-line wire strippers" used to tap a line. Where can I get them?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-04, 06:19 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
And how exactly would you encase the tap if you stripped a line "in-line"
Cut the line, use wire nuts or wagos, use a junction box, use a cover, and do it right.

Am I off base here? Or is there really a product to cover an "in line tap".

Hopefully your vision on the finished product is not a "T"ed line with a massive ball of electrical tap around it.

Old 11-21-04, 08:33 PM
Well a split bolt (blackburn) certainly comes to mind. These are commonly used to tap in line with a conductor. Splicing tape and good professional electrical tape finish this splice off.

http://doityourself.com/store/splitboltconnectors.htm

Brennan are you talking about strippers that look similar to pliers that you position the wire into then squeeze the handles and they "pop" a measured amount of insulation off the end of the conductor?

Old 11-21-04, 08:41 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
I've used split bolts, but they are completely metal and for grounding purpose only I believe. (grounding out cable systems and phone systems to the main ground of a house).

This shouldn't apply to live wires.

I suppose if the main ground has an insulator you'd want to have an inline stipper but, even when they did, you take your carpet knife and shave it off. The connecting line would obviously not be continuous and you'd just strip it normally.

Old 11-21-04, 09:14 PM
Split bolts have have been a common connector for tapping continuous conductors for many years.

Old 11-21-04, 09:19 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
I stand corrected.

Old 11-22-04, 09:54 AM
split bolt connectors are used after the wire gets too big for wirenuts. Top the split bolt off with 130c linerless splicing tape then top with supper 33 or 88. I don't know how many motors I have connected using split bolts. However, the splice still needs to take place inside a box of some sort.

Old 11-22-04, 02:15 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
Interesting. That is good to know. Anyway, does anyone have an answer to the original question?

I do not know of any in line wire strippers other than a "box cutter" or "carpet knife" and some skill full hands.

Old 11-23-04, 12:45 PM
I know of no box that can be applied inline to a piece of wiring. Therefore, for the splice to be put in a proper box, the cable must be cut and probably extended. Voila, no inline stripper needed, just the ordinary run of the mill cut end strippers.