Exposed Romex - or BX??

Old 11-21-04, 01:41 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exposed Romex - or BX??

I need to add a light ad switch to a room that has only an outlet. I will tap off the outlet - no problem - but I wonder if it is OK just to staple 14-2 Romex to the wall surface and into a surface mounted box for the switch.

Is that OK? Is it good practice? Is it code? It is a bedroom.

Or should I use BX??

What if it were commercial space (but no public traffic - just a storage room) - same answer??

Thanks!

Old 11-21-04, 02:05 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No, you cannot simply staple NM cable to the wall surface.

You can use a product called wiremold (or something similar) to run the wires on the surface.

However, the best thing to do is to run the wires in the walls properly. This is fairly easy to do if you have access to an attic above or a basement below.

One concern though. If a room only has a single receptacle, it is likely an old installation, and you may not be able to tap this circuit and still have a code compliant safe installation..

Old 11-23-04, 12:00 PM
HVACELECT
Visiting Guest
imho the best way and the easiest for a homeowner to do this task would be to go to the local home center and get some non metalic raceway and run the wires in this. the race way is very easy to install and comes in a few colors. i am also concerned that the room only has one recpt. are you working with knob and tube wiring? If you are there is probly no way to do this installation properly and be code compliant

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: