Breaker triping for some reason....?

Old 11-23-04, 06:27 AM
tjerry81
Visiting Guest
Breaker triping for some reason....?

Ok, so after the hurricanes rewired my spa for me by ripping out the sub panel and the conduit leading to it, I had to rewire the whole thing. This shouldn’t have been a hard task but somehow it has… Anyway, the spa runs off of a 240V 50A line. That line feeds from a 60A breaker in the main disconnect box through #4 H,H,N,G wires to the sub panel. The sub panel has a 50A 240V GFCI breaker for the spa. The 10A difference in breakers from the main panel to the sub is for a side outlet by the sub panel.
So after having to redo all of the wiring to the sub panel because it was not done to code originally I am ready to turn the spa back on, the only problem is that the spa is apparently not ready for this step… Every time I try and flip the 50A GFCI breaker it trips instantly while the lights in the house blink. I double checked my wiring to the spa and to the sub panel. I have even gone to the stage of having the spa controller replaced because I thought that might have been the problem. But no luck, still trips.
I need help figuring out why I can’t get power to the spa.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-04, 08:13 AM
You have a dead short somewhere between the sub panel and the spa. By process of elimination, the controller isn't the problem, the heater circuit shouldn't energize until the pressure switch senses water movement so that isn't the problem. You might check the pump motor, but the problem is most likely in the wiring. If anything's in conduit, pull it out and check every inch of wire after the sub panel. Good luck.

Doug M.

Old 11-23-04, 11:04 AM
Easier than pulling out your wire:

With the breaker off, disconnect all the wires at both ends. At one end, twist any two wires together. Go to the other end and test for continuity. If you have continuity then one of those wires has some nicked insulation. To find out which one, untwist the two wires at the first end and twist one of them with a different wire. Check the other end for continuity. If there's continuity, it's the wire you first twisted with the other wire. If there's no continuity, those two wires are OK and the other wire you had just untwisted before is the problem.

Hope that helps.

Juice

Old 11-23-04, 11:13 AM
Juice, I think you should have continuity if you twist the wires together... If you keep all the wires separated and find continuity between any 2 on one end, there's a nick in both.

Doug M.

Old 11-23-04, 11:28 AM
Oops. Wrong test. With all the wires UNtwisted at both ends, go to one end and check all combinations of wires, each one agaist each of the others. Then if you get continuity between any two, it'll be both of those, as dougm said. You would also want to test each wire against ground. Any wire that shows continuity to ground would have a problem. If none of the other wires shows continuity to ground it is unlikely that the others have a problem.

Sorry for any confusion.

Juice