Kitchen lights problem

Old 11-24-04, 06:30 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen lights problem

There are 2 light fixture boxes in my kitchen. One in middle of ceiling and one over sink. Currently the only light working is the ceiling one. Previous owner had light switch to one over sink placed in a cabinet but i removed it when i removed the cabinets and do not remember how it was wired. IT was workign though before i removed it. Here is what I have as far as the wiring goes.

I have a feed Wire of BX cable coming from wall receptacle to ceiling light in middle of room. I have 2 return 2-wire cables coming from ceiling light. one goes back to wall receptacle and is attached to its own switch (and turns light on). The other goes to fixture over sink. This fixture currently is always "hot" but if i put a switch on it and run it like the overhead ceiling light, it will trip the breaker. The breakdown is this:

Feed Line = BX cable to Ceiling light

Connect to Black Feed Wire:
1 red wire that goes to sink fixture (i checked and it is the hot wire)
1 Black BX wire
1 White wire that returns to wall switch for light

Connected to White Feed Wire:
1 BX white
1 White that goes to sink fixture

I have 1 red wire that is connected to black wire for ceiling light that goes back to wall switch.

How do i get to use the light over sink without tripping breaker? It doesn't matter to me whether i use the switch already at the wall to turn both on or if i have separate light switches (preferable to have separate light switches but not necessary).

Thanks in advance

Pat

Old 11-24-04, 06:41 AM
R
Your description is extremely unclear.

If you are tripping the breaker when turn on the switch then you have a neutral and a hot wire on the switch. That is your mistake. Adjust the wires to the switch so that it is only the hot wire that goes through the switch.

Take the hot wire that connects to the sink light and instead connect it to a hit wire that goes to the switch for that light. Take the black wire for that switch and connect it to the hot feed for the light. At the switch connect the black and white wires to the switch.

If you try again with your description of the existing wiring then I can be more specific about my answer.

Be specific. Tell me how many locations we are talking about and what cables enter those boxes and how they are connected.

Old 11-24-04, 09:39 AM
P
Thank you

I had the hot and neutral on the same switch like you said. I decided just to run another feed line to the switch so it is no longer run by the feed line in the light fixture box in the middle of the ceiling. I'll just pull that old line out. I don't know why i just didn't do that in the first place. Thanks again!

Pat

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: