Loss of power at switch

Old 11-25-04, 10:17 PM
stevewh
Visiting Guest
Loss of power at switch

I am remodeling my bathroom that has 3 switches (Light, Fan, Heater)
The light is on the wall, the fan and heater are contained in the cieling in one box, but wired separate.

After removing the old light and raising the wall box up, I tested the wires and I had power.

I installed a new fan/heater combo (wired separate), but when I tested the wires I found the heater cable live wire (black) had no power, so I marked the nuetral wire from the fan as live attached one end to the switch that had a live connection and the other to the heater (black). I then attached all nuetral wires (white) together to complete the circuit. Both switches/fan/heater work fine, but now the light fixture has no power.

I tested the switch and it shows power going to the light if I touch my tester to the top terminal and one to a nuetral. If I touch the tester to the black and white at the wall fixture, no power is detected.

What can be wrong? Everything worked fine before

Cheers,

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-04, 06:25 AM
What can be wrong, or rather what is wrong, is that you messed up the wiring.

Tell us exactly what wires are at each location, the switches, the light, and the heater/fan. Be very specific. Tell us what cables are present and what wires are in those cables, as well as exactly how those wires are connected.

Old 11-26-04, 11:30 PM
stevewh
Visiting Guest
Vibrating computer screen

I bought a circuit tester that tells me what wires are hot, so I figured it out.

All three switches are back to the normal connections.

The only thing is that my computer screen that is in a different room in the house has a shaking effect when the mew heating fan in the bathroom is turned on, it stops when the heating fan is turned off. Is this because the heater is pulling too much power or is there another reason?

Steve

Last edited by stevewh; 12-01-04 at 12:18 AM. Reason: New Info