missing electrical outlet

Old 11-26-04, 11:29 AM
tarheel1
Visiting Guest
missing electrical outlet

I have a home that includes an entertainment room. This room used to be a garage. It has an exterior outlet that was apparently covered up by the siding where the garage door used to be. Is there anyway to find this outlet without having to replace the siding and stuff on that wall?
Thanks for any and all help.
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-04, 03:43 PM
In order to legally do this, one would have to turn off the power to that portion of the circuit. If they did this properly, then you won't be able to trace the wiring.

Old 11-26-04, 03:55 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
If the outlet terminates all the way back at the panel you can trace it using a toner. If they terminated it at another outlet, you'd have to trace it from that outlet.

So, yes you can trace it as long as they didn't disconnect it behind a wall. The likelyhood of that is minimal because that would require a junction box permanently non accessable. So, in direct contrast to Bob's evaluation I would say if they did it correctly it would be easier to find then if they did it incorrectly. Not impossible based on the info we are given anyway.

Old 11-26-04, 04:02 PM
I disagree. To properly eliminate the receptacle would be to cut the wiring and push it out of the receptacle box that it starts from. If they did this then you might find evidence of the wiring at a receptacle box, but nothing more.

Old 11-26-04, 04:25 PM
What type of siding? If it is vinyl then you could use a zipper tool to unlock the seams. This won't hurt the siding and you can zip it back together.

Old 11-26-04, 06:00 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
If that were the case, as you said the evidence would be there and you could remove the box from in the wall fairly easily and then tone out the line. I agree, that would add another challenge but I still believe it to be highly possible to find and use.