Ceiling heat wont turn off, please help

Old 11-26-04, 12:39 PM
Insomniac125
Visiting Guest
Ceiling heat wont turn off, please help

I sure could use some help here. Hooked up our thermostat and now when you select 65 degrees or so, it doesn't turn off. The thermostat does click when it reaches the selected heat zone, but it doesn't switch the heat off the ceiling. Ceiling heat, built in 1965, the only information on the thermostat is "859M Room Thermostat", the trim plate says 'Honeywell'.
The electrical box has 2 red wires, 2 black wires and 2 white wires. The 2 white wires are both connected to one of the red wires, in the box. the 2 black wires are connected to a single black wire that connects to the pigtailed black wires on the thermostat. the last one red wire in the box is connected to the two red wires on the theermostat.
The thermostat has two red and two black wires.
I can't see how to import a picture to show the wiring, but I am truly puzzled.
Someone please let me know what all is wrong here. Wrong thermostat? Wiring? both?
Thank you for your time.
Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-04, 02:40 PM
You need to do a better job describing the wiring than that. Where do the wires come from, where do they go.

be soecific. How many wires per cable, how are the wires connected etc. Also, what is thew wiring at the heater? What else is on the same circuit breaker.

Also, what was the wiring before you put i the thermostat?

Old 11-26-04, 04:10 PM
Insomniac125
Visiting Guest
The wires look like Romex would, but with cloth a cloth sheath. Two red wires are in one conduit, the two white and two black are in seperate romex, in one conduit. This is the only circuit on this 220 breaker. The wires are now connected with wire nuts. I removed the thermostat when I repainted and had 'help' reinstalling it. From then on it has been this way. I am selling my house and don't want the new owners to have to deal with it. I am at my shop working now, I will go by the property when I am finished and tell you how the wires are connected in the attic, to the celing heat.