Power source for Christmas lights?

Old 11-26-04, 06:40 PM
Anti-Bob Vila
Visiting Guest
Power source for Christmas lights?

I am trying to wire lights in the front & back of my condo (not too many). However there are no power outlets outside the doors. I don't want to run a wire from inside the condo. Do you have any suggestions outside of hiring an electrician to install them? Maybe a small generator? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-04, 06:49 PM
A generator is a bit overkill as the noise would drive you nuts and probably your neighbors also. Do you not have an outside porch light? You could purchase an adapter that has 2 outlets and a bulb. This screws into the present bulb socket, assuming you have a regular socket and not one of the "sheilded ceiling lights" commonly seen in apartment complexes.
Hope this helps
Good luck and post back

Old 11-27-04, 04:12 PM
Those adapters are illegal, at least in Canada. I would not recommend using them.

Old 11-27-04, 04:22 PM
I believe they are legal in the U.S. as they are quite abundant in all the stores. Considering this is only for a short time I don't believe they would cause a problem.

Old 11-27-04, 05:00 PM
They probably are legal in the U.S. However, it is not safe to assume that just because they are sold that they are legal to use. There are a number of examples of things readily available in the store that violate code to use them in most situations.

I would only use them as a last resort, and never to carry more than 100 watts of load.

If this is more than a one-time only thing, I suggest you have receptacles added where you need them. If you are reasonably handy, there are lots of good books that explain how to do it yourself. If you have a lot of lights, you should add new circuits and have receptacles added wherever you need them.

Old 11-28-04, 04:44 AM
They might be illegal in Canada but I saw someone walking out of Canadian Tire with 2 of them on Saturday.