Installing Bboard heater when bottom of wall is block?

Old 11-27-04, 12:44 PM
skohlmey
Visiting Guest
Installing Bboard heater when bottom of wall is block?

I have a new room on my house that I need to add a baseboard heater as a supplement heat source to the available forced air. The bottom 12 inches of the new room is made with cement blocks. Since the cement blocks are flush with the rest of the wall, I was not planning on framing over the blocks. The electrical outlets can go above the blocks. Since I want to install the baseboard heater near the floor, I am wondering how to pull the wire to the heater.

I have a few questions: Do I need to have an electrical box in the wall behind the heater? Or, can I just “pull the wire through a hole in the wall? If the answer is “yes – I must have an electrical box”, then I guess I need to add some framing on the wall with the heater. If the answer is “no”, then can I pull the wire through the cement blocks and into the back of the heater? Do I need to run a conduit or use special wire to do this?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-04, 03:52 PM
No need for a box behind BB heater, you can run wire into knock-out in back of heater with cable clamp.

But there can be other issues with this type of installation. Are the voids in the block wall a damp location? If so, NM cable isn't allowed. Use UF cable. Also, there can be no receptacles above heater. The heater will melt cords plugged into them.

Old 11-28-04, 03:40 PM
skohlmey
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the answer!