Changing switch to switch/outlet combo

Old 11-28-04, 01:21 PM
JoJoFraz
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Changing switch to switch/outlet combo

I need help/advice! I live in an older house with few outlets and I wanted to change a switch to a switch/outlet combo. However, after removing the wall plate I noticed my wiring has no ground wire (just black and white). Is there any way to ground the switch/outlet just to the metal box or would this be extremely unsafe? Is my only option to have my house rewired with modern NM cable?

Old 11-28-04, 01:28 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whether or not the box is grounded depends on the type of wiring used. Can you describe the wiring?

As for adding a receptacle to this location. Do you know if there is a neutral wire in the box? If this is switch loop then you don;t have a neutral and can't add the receptacle.

Other options (if you have a neutral) include using a combination switch and GFCI receptacle, adding a ground wire to the box, rewiring the box, or GFCI protecting the circuit.

Old 11-28-04, 03:52 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If there is just one black wire and one white wire in the box, then there is no way to change this switch to a switch/receptacle combo.

Old 12-15-04, 04:25 PM
JoJoFraz
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the responses!
The wiring is paper covered black wire and white wire - there is no bare copper ground wire. I will contact a local electrician to see if GFCI is an option. Thanks again!

Old 12-15-04, 04:36 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is there more than one cable entering/leaving the box? If all that exists is a single cable containing a black and white wire then you can't even install a combination GFCI receptacle/switch, as you have no neutral.

Why don't you tell us ALL the wires that are in the box and how they are connected. We might be able to save you the call to the electrician and the expense if having him or her come out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: