Okay to run romex under counter top??

Old 11-28-04, 02:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Okay to run romex under counter top??

I'm currently installing a new "above range" microwave. I'm installing a grounded outlet in the cabinet above where the microwave will be positioned. I have an outlet that is about 10 feet away, and located just above a countertop surface. Rather than chop the wall up to get power to the proper location, I'm considering running the power down from the existing electrical outlet, which would be under the counter top in the kitchen. From here I could run it directly to the section of the wall that it would have to travel up to get to the new outlet location.

Wondering if there is any code violation in doing it this way. Also I'm planning on using conduit under the counter if that matters.

Appreciate any feedback.

Visser

Old 11-28-04, 06:57 AM
B
If the outlet you are taking power from is a counterop receptacle, it cannot serve your over the range microwave oven. Countertop receptacles are restricted in what they can serve.

This should have a new circuit for the micro. I'd be willing to bet the directions call for a dedicated circuit. Most units I've seen are over 1000 watts.

Old 11-28-04, 03:46 PM
You are right Bob100. I was planning on actually moving the counter top receptacle completely to the new location for the new micro, but you've reminded me that it would not be a dedicated circuit as it is in line with others.
Regardless, I think the only way I can run electric is under the counter top and I would still like to know if this meets code, and if I need to use conduit. I live in a slab home and have a long run from the power box. I would like to keep from tearing into every wall in the house between the power box and where I need to put the new receptacle. It would help to use the space under the counter top in the kitchen. It's not on a wet wall.

Any thoughts??

Visser

Old 11-28-04, 05:53 PM
J
If you're using romex under the counter (or anywhere else), for your new circuit, you don't need to use conduit, in fact, you can't use conduit.

Old 11-28-04, 06:38 PM
R
There are certain instances when it is okay to run NM and UF and other cable assemblies in conduit. This would be for protection of the cable.

A common situation, for example, is when running UF cable down the side of a house and underground. The portion running down the side of the house and into the ground is in conduit. This is for protection.

A similar situation to what you are asking about is when wiring an island or peninsula in a kitchen. Since these areas need to have receptacles, you have to run the wire inside the cabinets and perhaps under the counter top. Here conduit might be used to protect the cable. You wouldn't want a sharp knife (for example) escaping a drawer and damaging the NM cable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: