switch help

Old 11-29-04, 11:23 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
switch help

i am rewireing side by side double switches for a bath heater,fan,light,night. i tried it once and it worked and then it kicked the breaker off and i dont know why because i didnt touch anything that i know of. i have the power black going to switch l bottom, that white tying in ok. i have a jumper going from here to top of switch 1 which is the heater. i have a jumper from the heater to switch 2 top left or light. from switch 2 top light i have a jumper to bottom nite lite switch 2 left. the white and black from switch 1 go to applaince and the so do white and black in switch 2 ,all are grounded am i on the right track? as i said i seamed to work once. then through a breaker, i checked for any bare wires or wires touching or etc.i have no clue any ideas please,thanks

Old 11-29-04, 11:36 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
i didnt touch anything that i know of
Hard to do much wiring without touching anything.

that white tying in ok
That's a very imprecise statement.

My questions:
  1. None of the white wires are attached to either switch, right?
  2. Exactly how many cables come into this box in total? There should be at least four black/white cables (or maybe fewer if any of the cables are black/red/white).
  3. What was there before, and what are you adding?

Old 11-29-04, 02:24 PM
R
You need to do a better job describing exactly what you have here. What wires enter and leave the box? Do the neutrals go through the box, or only hot wires? Does the power from the panml enter this box first, or does it go to the unit, and you only have switch loops here? What wiring is at the unit itself?

Old 11-30-04, 09:48 PM
switch help

Originally Posted by John Nelson
Hard to do much wiring without touching anything.

That's a very imprecise statement.

My questions:
  1. None of the white wires are attached to either switch, right?
  2. Exactly how many cables come into this box in total? There should be at least four black/white cables (or maybe fewer if any of the cables are black/red/white).
  3. What was there before, and what are you adding?
no white wires are attached to switches. we do have some go to the appliance as hot wires painted black,ok.we have 2 of them painted black ,one on switch 1,opposite heater,one on switch 2 opposite nite light.the other two wires for the fan and the light are black that go to the appliance. what i meant was by not touching anything that i hadn't changed anything i didnt think from when the switch was working before.i took one wire off at a time and hooked it up and i realize that is hard to do with this type of double switch change,but i thought i had done it right.

Old 12-01-04, 04:26 AM
R
If you don;t have white wires attached to the switches then how do they carry current to the heater and night light?

Why don't you tell us all the wires that you do have and we can help you sort this mess out.

Old 12-01-04, 06:38 AM
J
When you moved the wires one at a time, did you pay attention to the tabs on one side, but not the other side, of the duplex switches?

In my terms, a white wire painted black is still a white wire. So I think your "no" answer to question 1 was really "yes" if I read it right.

You didn't answer questions 2 and 3.

Old 12-02-04, 08:55 AM
switch help

i'm going to ask you what i should have in the first place. how should i wire these two switches up considering they are right at the appiance does that make sense. its just to complicated the other way im beginning to believe. maybe we should try it this way . i can still get to the wires at the appliance in the attic. i do appreciate the help. you guy know which way might be easier way to go about this if there is one.

Old 12-02-04, 03:59 PM
R
We need to know what wires you have, and where they are.

Old 12-02-04, 04:58 PM
Smile switch help

other than the power source,there are 4 wires coming into this box,not including the 2 grounds.im not adding anything,just switching them from switch to switch.i have the power going to the fan switch 1,i have a jumper going to the heater switch 1 top. i have a white wire going to the appliance opposite the heater switch 1 and a black wire going to the appliance opposite fan switch 1. now i have a jumper wire going from the heater to the top of switch 2 or the light. i also have another jumper wire going down to the nite light. on the other side of switche 2 i have a white wire going from the nite light to the appliance and a black wire going to the appliance or the light. i did not originally install these remember. when i first tried them after i installed the new switch it worked.then it blew a breaker.i see no bare wires or anything loose or etc. i really hope this makes more sense i new this was going to be pretty difficult .i have 3 jumper wires fan to heat to light to night light.

Old 12-03-04, 04:29 AM
R
You still aren't providing the proper information.

I want to know how many cables enter the switch box. I want to know what color wires are in those cables and I want to know what those cables are connected to.

At the unit in the ceiling I want to know what cables enter that box, what wires are in those cables and how they are connected.

Please be specific. For example, your answer might be as follows: I have a cable containing a black and white wire that enters the seitvch box. The black wire is connected using pigtails to each of the switch inputs. The white wire is connected to the other white wires from all the other cables.

You can leave off the bare ground wires, but please be very specific for both the switches and for the ceiling unit.

One comment. Something is wrong here. You said that you have power coming into the box. You also saiod that there are four wires goping to the appliance. I'm not sure you have enough wires here to do what you want. Did you start with all of this working, or did you install this appliance and and want to try to make it work. I suspect that you don't have the proper wires in this box to ake this work.

Old 12-04-04, 10:45 AM
switch help stillllllll

switch 1 power,black,comes in to bottom left,or fan.jumper gos up to heater same side. then a jumper gos to switch 2 left side light top,and on down to night light below it on switch 2.
switch 1 across from fan is a black wire which goes up to appliance and that white wire in that cable with it ties to the white wire with the white wire with the power wire. across from heater switch 1 is a white wire which goes up through a different cable to the appliance .
switch 2 top across from light is a black wire which goes to the appliance in cable 2,as does the heater switch white.. switch 2 across from nite light is a [separate] white wire which also goes to the appliance,separately.
the appliance is one that has those plug ins where you cant make a mistake and like i said it has worked for 20 years. these plug ins are very close and if i did it again i would do it like i just redid my downstains bath 4 wide.i i should have written all this down or diagramed it before i made a move. i guess i'll never learn.

Old 12-04-04, 10:52 AM
J
Originally Posted by racraft
I want to know how many cables enter the switch box
Help us out by directly answering this question. Don't use more than one word in your answer.

Old 12-04-04, 01:31 PM
switch help

2 cables 12-2,plus one white loose wire.more than one word i know!

Old 12-04-04, 02:06 PM
J
You don't have enough wires to make it work.

Old 12-04-04, 02:39 PM
R
Does the power (both the hot and the neutral) from the source (circuit breaker panel) come into this switch box, or does it go to the fan/lights/heater first?

Old 12-12-04, 03:48 PM
Smile switch help

i broke down and called one of your kind in. they found i had one of the jumper wires on the wrong side of the switch and the breaker didn't work. they were done in about 20 minutes and they didnt have to add any wires.just switch one jumper,because i broke off the tabs,which i shouldn't have done. thanks alot for all of your help guys it was trully appreciatted.its hard to help with a problem like that without seeing it. have a good holiday season.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: