non-working outlet

Old 11-29-04, 12:26 PM
diygal
Visiting Guest
Red face non-working outlet

i hung christmas lights and a few low voltage figurines in my yard for the holidays. i did not tape off the connections where one strand of lights met another (not sure if this is even necessary since they are for outdoor use) and of course it rains. the lights worked until it rained and then shut off. i have two cords running to an outlet covered by our front porch. it is not a gfci outlet, though what i have read indicates it should be. i am assuming that since it is protected by the porch roof (deep set and on side wall) that the builder felt it was not necessary? i have replaced the outlet and still no power. i know it is the outlet, because i have run the two cords in doors to other outlets and all lights work. i have also plugged in a lamp to the non-working outlet and there is no power to the lamp. no breakers tripped, but i shut off all power to the house at breaker box and then reset each breaker individually since it is not labled "porch". i have searched for any and all indoor gfci outlets anywhere near this outdoors location and no luck on test/resetting any of them. the house was built 18 months ago, so it should be able to handle the lights i would think. i don't want to pay a $60 service fee for a simple solution, but i don't know what else to test. any help is appreciated!
diygal

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-04, 12:29 PM
There has to be a GCFI protecting that outlet if the house is only 18 months old. You probably didn't look in all placed. Did you try the garage? Did you actually reset all GCFI outlets you could find?

Old 11-29-04, 12:34 PM
HVACELECT
Visiting Guest
first of all you are right it should be a gfci or it can be protecter by an other gfci if the power feed for this ones comes off the load side of another gfci. in my area you would be code happy. well I would suggest that you buy a simple recpt tester or voltage dector. the best item beung a multi meter this will tale you alot more.

have you checked all the outlets in the garage if you have one or the basement. right now it could be alot of things but make sure u check everything becore calling help

Old 11-29-04, 12:47 PM
diygal
Visiting Guest
i only tested/reset the gfci's on the inner side of that wall and in the kitchen which overlooks the porch, so the walls are adjoining. i will search the rest of the house and the garage for any all gfci's this evening and test/reset them as well. would it make since for there to be an gfci outlet under the sink, next to the dishwaher, within the cabinets??? ithere is another out-door outlet on the BACK side of the house that is exposed to the elements, that i believe is gfci equipped. i will be sure to test it as well... will post my results!

Old 11-29-04, 02:08 PM
The gfci that controls this receptacle could be in the garage, basement, any other outdoor receptacle, a gfci circuit breaker.

Old 11-30-04, 05:57 AM
diygal
Visiting Guest
Smile

well, wouldn't you know it, the culprit was in the garage, the outlet for the sprinkler system. all three outdoor plugs and the spinkler were tripped. Reset the gfci and voila! problem solved.
The Christmas lights were bright and shining last night!
Thanks

Old 11-30-04, 04:39 PM
They always seem to be in the garage. Usually they are behind the big pile of boxes that never get moved.