too much voltage

Old 11-29-04, 07:04 PM
too much voltage

After replacing lightbulbs once a month, blowing up a Tivo, going through six Cox Cable DVR's in 3 months, burning out my TV, DVD player, and my central air conditioner, I thought hmmmmm, maybe I have a power problem. I plugged my voltage meter into the socket and found 128 V.

I called SDGE which promptly responded to find the same. They also found the same at the transformer (I think that's what it was). I was informed (in secret) I could file a claim for all my burned up stuff.

What about my top end new appliances and other stuff. Will the 128 V cause issue with these things? My common sense says yes. But to what degree?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-04, 07:36 PM
128 volts is not that uncommon. Power line voltage regularly range from 120-130. A loose neutral however will cause voltage to go much higher than that while other circuits go very low. Low can be damaging to electronics as well.

Old 11-30-04, 06:25 AM
SDGE stated that 126 V is the highest legal limit they can distribute power at. The way the crews were acting I had the impression that they were very concerned or at least put on a good show. The power high as well at the street transformer or whatever the big green box is down the street.

I supppose they have to draw the line somewhere.

Old 11-30-04, 07:11 AM
Did any of your neighborhs have this problem? Since more then one household is supplied by the same transformer a high voltage problem should affect all of them.
128V is really not high... pretty much all of the failed appliances had switching mode power supplies, and 128V will not damage them.

I'm still betting on a loose neutral somewhere...which may have been at the utility side.