duplex switched receptacles

Old 11-30-04, 02:35 PM
cjhutto
Visiting Guest
Question duplex switched receptacles

I am trying to wire a pair of switched receptacles, with power coming in to the first receptacle, and the switch at the terminus. I can wire a single, but the pair of switched receptacles has me stumped. How do I transfer power from the first to the second with the hot side tab removed? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-04, 03:33 PM
Be more specific about your setup and what you want to accomplish. You contradict yourself in your post.

Are the receptacles in the same box? Are the receptacles to be half switched and half always hot? Does the wiring go from the source into the first receptacle, to the second receptacle, and then to the switch?

Old 11-30-04, 04:08 PM
If power comes nto first receptacle and passes though second receptacle to the switch then you need a 14/3 cable between the two receptacles. Balck carries unswitched power though to the switch and red caries switched power back from the switch.

Old 12-01-04, 07:49 AM
cjhutto
Visiting Guest
duplex switched receptacles

One receptacle per box; each box needs to have a switched receptacle. Power comes into first box, needs to continue to next box, then on to switch at terminus. Switch needs to control half of each receptacle.

Old 12-01-04, 12:01 PM
Then you need black/red/white/bare cable between the two receptacle boxes rather than black/white/bare cable. Once you get that far, post back if you still need help with the connections. Joe gave you the high-level view of what is required.

Old 12-08-04, 11:55 AM
cjhutto
Visiting Guest
Red face switched receptacles

I finally sat down and drew out the diagram, and it made perfect sense. I used 12/3 between the two receptacles. Thanks for the help!