Minimum distance from faucet to outlet?

Old 12-01-04, 07:35 AM
Minimum distance from faucet to outlet?

What is the minimum distance that an outlet (GFI protected, of course) can be away from a water source?

I re-modeled one of the baths in my house over the last weekend, and putting in the new vanity, I had to break out a soap dish that was part of the tile wall. The vanity was too tall, and I didn't want to cut an inch and a half off of the bottom of the vanity, so I busted out the tile soap dish holder. Now I have a hole ( approx. 2" x 4" in size above the backsplash of the vanity top that I would like to fill. One of the solutions I came up with was to put a GFI outlet there, but am wondering if that is a bad idea. It would be approximately 5 inches above the sink top, and probably about 12 inches away from the faucet. It would be relatively easy to install a box and pull wire to this location, but am not interested in electrocuting my family!

Also, is regular 14/2 romex okay for this, or do i need to use something shielded near water/plumbing? I live in southeast Pennsylvania.

Thanks!

jim

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-04, 07:40 AM
Strangely enough, there is no minimum distance, but there is a maximum distance. At least one GFCI-protected receptacle must be no more than 36 inches from the rim of the sink. Regular Romex is okay, although you probably need 12/2 rather than 14/2, since bathroom circuits are often on 20-amp circuits.

Old 12-01-04, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the advice!

Amazing...no minimum distance!?! I will have to see if I can manage to get a new circuit to this bath as it is on a 15 Amp circuit now (and one with quite a number of other rooms/outlets on it as well!). At least it is in the wall with the plumbing stack, so it should be an easy pull (famous last words).

If I do run a new circuit for the bath, would it be sufficient to have 2 baths on a single 20Amp circuit, or should I run 2 circuits, one for each bath? I will soon be upgrading service to my house (hiring a pro, not really willing to DIY that one! ) so I want to wait for that before adding a circuit, but can start planing for it now...

jim

Old 12-01-04, 12:50 PM
The rules for bathroom wiring are very specific and a bit complex. Basically, you have two options:
(1) One or more electrical things in one bathroom on a 20-amp circuit, with nothing outside this one bathroom on that circuit, or
(2) One or more bathroom receptacles on a 20-amp circuit, with nothing except bathroom receptacles on that circuit.

So if I had to choose between the options you presented, I'd choose one circuit per bathroom. that fits rule #1 above.