conceal elec panel

Old 12-01-04, 04:25 PM
conceal elec panel

For some crazy reason the builder of my house put the elec panel in the future family room.
Now I am just about finished with the basement and would like to conceal it somehow. Right next to is it also a small media center which is about 6"x8" and protrudes about 4". I was thinking about making some sort of half-cabinet with a door.
I'm pretty sure that against code, but with that in mind any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-04, 09:00 AM
I don't know code in your area, but here's what I did with mine. I framed the wall around the box to be fush with the face of the box (that is the studs were 1/2" shy of the face so that with drywall it would be flush).

I removed the box cover when I hung drywall and replaced it with the lip over the drywall. Then I painted it to match the wall.

The only problem with that is that if I ever wand to add circuits, I'll have to open up the drywall and patch. But to me it's an aesthetically pleasing solution and anyone really looking can see that it's the panel.

Next to it is where all my cable and phone wires (cat 5 cable) come together. I haven't installed a board or anything, but someday I will. I framed an opening there for a cabinet door I bought from my local home center and created "cabinet" that looks alot like a medicine chest (without a mirrored front) with the cabinet door sitting directly on the drywall and all the cables in the void between the studs. I also painted this to match the wall.

Again this may not meet code--maybe there's a law that the panel has to stay ugly gray--but it's working for me.

Old 12-02-04, 09:06 AM
As long as you don't intrude on the working space requirement you can hide the panel. It must be a door that allows the front of the panel to open fully. You can hang a picture over it if you like. You can't put a cabinet in front of it with door. There must be a 30" wide x 36" out from wall clear space from floor to 6'7" up from floor in front of panel.