How many curcuits should I use?

Old 12-02-04, 05:18 AM
tkuhrt
Visiting Guest
How many curcuits should I use?

Im finishing a basement office. It is 10ft X 10 ft.

I would like to have at least an outlet on each wall, 4 pot lights on a dimmer switch and a lighted shelf using disc lights(like you use under a kitchen cabinet) on a dimmer.

I will be running 2 computers, printer, desk light, floor lamp, speakers. maybe some other electronics.(probably not all at the same time)

It one 14amp circuit enough? If not how should I split it up?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-04, 06:31 AM
sjr
Visiting Guest
One 20A circuit would probably suffice, but if you have the space in your panel, two might give you more possibilities for future expansion. I try to run 20A circuits for receptacles, just because you never know when that power-hungry shop vac might get plugged in.

I generally try to put computers and related equipment on their own circuits, so my personal recommendation would be to run a 20A circuit for the computer and another 20A for everything else. There are many other acceptable ways to do it, however.

Old 12-02-04, 09:41 AM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
In your room, you need to have an electrical oulet every 6ft of unbroken horizontal wall space.

Old 12-02-04, 09:58 AM
Additional note: For 20 amp circuits, all wiring on that circuit must be #12 AWG.

Juice

Old 12-02-04, 10:32 AM
tkuhrt
Visiting Guest
thx for the help!

What size pot lights with how much wattage? They wont be surrounded by insulation and the space as I said is only 10x10ft. A certain name brand recommendation? I will probably get them at Home Depot or Lowes.

Thx for your time

Old 12-03-04, 08:54 AM
tkuhrt
Visiting Guest
any takers on my last question? :-)

Old 12-03-04, 09:04 AM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
whatever looks the best to you as you shop.

Old 12-03-04, 10:45 AM
All lighting fixtures will undoubtedly bear the UL label. That means they are safe. Although quality varies, pick the ones that offer the best price vs. style and features. Personally, I gravitate toward 40 watt bulbs for incandescent wherever precticable. The fixtures you buy can be rated up to 100 watts and above, but that does not mean you have to use bulbs that high. Go ahead and buy 60, 75 or 100 watt rated fixtures, and put in whatever wattage bulbs you like. Larger wattage ratings increase your options. If it isn't enough light at say 40 or 60 watts, increase your bulb wattage. It all depends on a compromise of how much light you need vs. how much you want to pay your utility.

Hope that helps.

Juice

Old 12-03-04, 12:52 PM
In an office area, a lot of the important lighting is task lighting. If you have good task lighting (e.g., a lamp), you can skimp a bit on the general lighting. If you don't want task lighting, or if you will work equally all over the room, you'll want more general lighting.

More depends on the color of the walls, the height of the ceiling, and the condition of your eyes.

For a 10x10 room, I'd use 6" recessed cans with 65-watt wide flood bulbs. Four (one in the middle of each quadrant) will give you plenty of light. I suggest a dimmer for times you want less.

Halo fixtures are good. Home Depot carries them.

Old 12-03-04, 01:03 PM
Ahhh, an IES follower, John.

Juice

Old 12-06-04, 06:56 AM
tkuhrt
Visiting Guest
4 lights should be enough correct?

Old 12-06-04, 07:47 AM
"Correct" is probably not the right word. There is no right or wrong. There are lots of factors, of which I cited a few in my earlier post. I find it hard to believe that you'd find four lights insufficient (unless your walls are black and/or your ceiling is seven feet and/or your eyes are bad), but you might find it too bright (which is why I recommended the dimmer).