Electric Meter for Garage Apartment

Old 12-02-04, 05:42 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electric Meter for Garage Apartment

I'm splitting off my finished out garage and renting it out. Just wondering whether installing an electrical meter to measure power usage would be economical or not. Any ideas how much these cost? It will be measuring the power to a 100 amp sup panel with 240V.
Thanks!

Old 12-02-04, 09:43 AM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
If you have a seperate mailing address for the residence, don't you have to have it's own power meter? water meter? gas? Have you told the city you are renting it out?

Old 12-02-04, 12:52 PM
HVACELECT
Visiting Guest
check with your local building department about the zoning beacuse this idea could get you in alot of trouble

Old 12-02-04, 01:08 PM
Load side metering

Zoning issues aside you may need a fifth jaw meter enclosure to avoid cross connecting the Equipment Grounding Conductor (EGC) and the feeder neutral conductor. If the feeder is four wire this is likely to be true if it is three wire then a regular meter cabinet will work fine. A meter and cabinet will cost about one hundred dollars if you search for a low price on line and mail order it.

You should do a load calculation on the total load that your service will be carrying to see if your existing service is large enough for the additional load.
--
Tom H

Old 12-02-04, 03:33 PM
J
As far as the zoning thing goes, The property is already a duplex, but the property is not zoned for it. I am working with the city now to change this. There are about 20 properties that are all zoned for single family but are duplexes, so we are trying to figure out how to go about it. The electric meter idea is just in case they don't let me. I don't figure I can get in any more trouble for having a triplex that having a duplex....

The service I have is a 2 wires supplying 240 and 1 bare grounding that the grounds and neutrals in the house are connected to. I have done a load calc on the possible new unit, but I will do one for the property and determine if service is large enough now.

Thanks for the helps!

Old 12-02-04, 03:44 PM
For the purpose of meterring the garage appartment I need to know how many wires in the feeder to the garage.
--
Tom H

Old 12-02-04, 05:10 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
The worst trouble I could see is not letting you rezone and then forcing current residents to leave so it becomes a single family dwelling. So, potentially you could have spent the money for the extra apartment and end up losing two sources of revenue.

As far a cost? You can buy a meter online. Just search for one.

Here's one:

http://www.electricitymetering.com/c...ue?Source=OEPL

And I'm sure there are more out there.

BTW: this is not an advertisment. I just happened to do a quick search and this is what came up! I am in no way endorsing but using this particular device as a reference.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: