Wire

Old 12-02-04, 07:57 AM
ker
Visiting Guest
Wire

Why isn't the (NM-B) wire allowed in all cities and states? I live in Ohio and when I was doing some remodeling with light fixtures and receptacles, I ran 12-2 NM-B wire everywhere. That was all I really could find at Lowe's and Home Depot. I also ran it to hook up a 220 baseboard heater.

Old 12-02-04, 08:02 AM
J
Received 518 Upvotes on 423 Posts
Local regulations are different. Some of them are supported strongly by lobbying from the industry that benefits. In this case it would be the conduit manufacturers and the local electricians that bend the conduit and install it.

Old 12-02-04, 10:01 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I learned once that in the city of Chicago all wiring must be in pipe. NM-B is forbidden. I never thought of the lobbying from the conduit industry or the guys who bend and install conduit, but that's a good point. I assumed that since Chicago burned to the ground once they are particularly cautious. I also know that the cities of New York and LA have stricter requirements than the NEC, although I do not know any particulars. I live in upstate NY, and the NEC rules in most areas.

Juice

Old 12-02-04, 12:35 PM
J
Received 518 Upvotes on 423 Posts
They can use all the excuses they want (fire in past) but in my opinion anything that makes work for one group will be virgorously defended to be maintained.

Old 12-02-04, 01:16 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I believe Chicago's requirement is to prevent rodents from eating into the wires. Supposedly there were major problems with that some time in the past.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: