Foreign made appliances in America?


Old 12-02-04, 09:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Foreign made appliances in America?

I am in Japan now with my wife to see her family and attend her brother`s wedding. She wants to get a few things for the kitchen that she cannot find in the U.S. One is for heating water for making green tea etc. and the other is similar to a hotplate for making Tako-yaki.

Japan uses 100v at 60hz. Will these appliances work in the U.S. without a transformer?


Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-04, 05:14 AM
HandyRon's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 1,365
If they are straight resistance type items, like a hot plate or tea warmer, it will work. You have to be sure that the insulation on the wire is rated for more than 100V. Most have a higher rating and can be used at a lower voltage.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes