Move an existing ceiling light fixture

Old 12-03-04, 09:34 AM
cristable1
Visiting Guest
Move an existing ceiling light fixture

I have an existing ceiling fixture in my kitchen that I would like to move over 10 feet. What is the best way to do this? I would like to be able to cover over the hole made by the existing fixture.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-04, 12:50 PM
So many questions

We would need to know whether you can fish a cable from the old location to the new one. If no can you live with surface raceway on your ceiling. You can put a flat paintable cover over the existing outlet box but you cannot bury it behind plaster.
--
Tom H

Old 12-03-04, 01:13 PM
If there is an attic above the room, it will be easy to do from there.

If no attic, it will be easy if you are moving the fan parallel to the joists in the ceiling. To cover up the existing hole, you're going to have to hope that the cable comes from the direction you want to move the fan. Otherwise, you'll need a blank cover plate. After a short while, you won't notice it there.

If no attic, and moving the fan across joists, then surface wiring (e.g., Wiremold) is an option.

If no attic, moving the fan across joists, and surface wiring is unacceptable, then some drywall removal and repair is required. Fortunately, drywall is both cheap and easy to repair.