Dimming and Flickering lights!!

Old 12-03-04, 05:15 PM
bigbee13
Visiting Guest
Dimming and Flickering lights!!

I have a little dilema, All the lights in our townhouse keep dimming and flickering. This problem has been going on and off for the past year however the last week it has become worse. I contacted the power company and a person came out and checked and said that everthing was fine on thier end. This is where I need some help, my landlord is a real piece of work and cheap as can be, so I want to see if I can fix the problem myself or if I will need him to get an electrician.

Here is as much information as I know. there are 4 townhouses all connected together. 2 meters on either side, 2 on apartment 1 for apartment 1 and 2 and 1 on apartment 4 for apartment 3 and 4. As far as I know apartment 3 and 4 have no problems however apartment 1 gets some dimming of lights when her dishwasher is running through the cycles. I seem to be the only one with the constant problem. I have no dishwasher or central air. We do have a chest freezer and normal electronics(all on surge protectors). I do not get any flickering or dimming of the computer or electronics just the lights. I get flickering throught the day with nothing extra running hower I get dimming of lights with the washing maching running. I get this throughout the house even though they are on different circuits. The breaker box is as followes 100amp main than on the left side as follows 40,15,20,15,15,20,20 and right side as follows, 50,20,20,15,15,15,15. Also sometimes when I am in the in the laundry room and my wife starts the sweeper I can hear a short buzzing sound from the breaker box, it does not kick the breaker just a short buzz. I am not sure what other information anyone would need hower any help to get me started would be appreciated. I would like to do as much as I can as it will take my landlord forever to get someone out to look at this.

thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-04, 05:52 PM
This is something that you should have a licensed electrician look at. I'm not saying that you can't do this repair but keep in mind that electricity can and will kill you if you don't know what your doing.

Ask your landlord if you can get an electrician to look at it and either deduct it from your rent or reimburse you afterwards.

I'm a licensed journeyman and I can't say what the problem is unless I was there and could do a visual on the panel.

Good luck

Old 12-03-04, 05:58 PM
This thread might give you some ideas of how to track this down.