Stab connections vs. Screw connections

Old 12-03-04, 05:47 PM
Aarno
Visiting Guest
Stab connections vs. Screw connections

Nope, I don't use the stab connectors. Nor do I know anyone who uses them. In, fact, people are 'discouraged' from using them because as most everyone agrees, they do not provide as secure a connection as do screws.

Okay, fine. So the obvious question is - why don't electrical manufacturers just eliminate stab connections? Does anyone here actually use them? And if so, why? (Just curious.)

Aarno

Old 12-03-04, 05:51 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
They save time. Despite the fact that everybody here hates them, there are probably still millions of such connections made a day. Residential electrical work is so competitive that often you can't win the business if it takes you an hour longer than the next guy to wire a house.

Old 12-03-04, 06:11 PM
Aarno
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your response, John. Yes, it's easy to see what a time saver they can be. On the other hand, I have yet to hear anyone say that they use them. (Or at least will 'admit' to using them.) Anyway, it certainly seems contradictory that there are electricians that do use them - while at the same time discourage their use... in private conversations as well as posts such as here in this forum as well as in other forums.

I'd like to stress that this is 'not' a criticism, just an observation. Nothing more.

Aarno

Old 12-03-04, 08:01 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I like using Leviton devices, and tonight I went to the Home Depot to get some supplies for a project tomorrow. Got home and realized the duplex receptacles from the $.50 bin were backstab only, no side screws at all. They will either go in the trash, or be returned directly to the manager to express my dissatisfaction. Pay attention, folks, to what is actually on the retailers shelf.

Old 12-04-04, 07:20 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm sure that Home Depot will be happy to refund your money, but don't expect them to be swayed by your "dissatisfaction". It is certainly your right to want something better, but they would have far more customer dissatisfaction if they did not offer this very popular and high-selling product.

Old 12-05-04, 06:06 PM
I haven't used the backstabs since I 1st got into the industry over 12 yrs ago. Now even for small loads {i.e a single 60w fixture} I use the screw terminals or in specification grade devices the internal crush plate. FYI....there is a new type of receptacle which uses a 3 tailed {black,white,green} connector that snaps into the back of the receptacle.I am wating for my sample from the manufacturer.

Old 12-06-04, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by ampz
I use the screw terminals or in specification grade devices the internal crush plate.
I agree with Ampz...I use the upgraded receptacles with the crush plate. Almost as fast as the backstab (no bending a sheppards crook in the wire) with all of the mechanical and electrical connection stregnth of the side wire. And best of all, they are not much more expensive than the el-cheapos.

Old 12-06-04, 01:45 PM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
>>> I use the upgraded receptacles with the crush plate

Old 12-06-04, 02:17 PM
Look for the red colored box

[QUOTE=Baldwin]>>> I use the upgraded receptacles with the crush plate

Old 12-06-04, 02:29 PM
Leviton makes them. The part number is BR-15 (Ivory, 15a) There are other color/amperage combinations avalable.

Old 12-06-04, 03:40 PM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Found them, thanks guys.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: