what kind of wire do I use

Old 12-04-04, 03:13 AM
jayp6773
Visiting Guest
Question what kind of wire do I use

I am remodeling a basement. I am adding 2 outlets and 2 lights per side. It's almost done being framed and now I need to start wiring. I have a buddy that is gonna come over and hook the wires into the box for me. I just want to have the outlets and lights in place so he don't have to waste his time with trivial stuff. I was just wondering what type of wiring to buy.
Thanks,
Jay

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-04, 04:47 AM
Where do you live? Is NM-B cable allowed where you live? What size circuit breaker do you want to use? Are you sure that "2 [receptacles] per side" is adequate and within code?

Old 12-04-04, 04:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My guess is that 14/2 NM-B Romex will be fine.

I think, though that you need a receptacle every 12 feet. Don't know about you, but that's code where I live.

Listen, though. It's your house, and while we strongly recommend going by code, it's your decision.

Chris

Old 12-04-04, 06:28 AM
If you are wiring this from scratch, and if NM-B is allowed where you live, then I recommend 12 gauge wire on a 20 amp circuit.

If you are adding to an existing circuit then make sure that it is a circuit you can legally and safely add to and use the either 12 or 14 gauge wire, depending on the breaker size (20 or 15 amp) and the size of the wire already on the circuit.

As for receptacles, you need a receptacle every 12 feet of unbroken wall space. That means between every door. Each wall needs at least one receptacle, and there must be one withing six feet of each door.

Old 12-04-04, 06:57 AM
Make sure you know the electrical codes. It's as easy to wire it in conformance to code as to wire it in violation to code, but you can't conform if you don't know the codes. Save later disappointment by a little research now. I recommend the $6 green paperback Wiring Simplified available in the electrical aisle at Home Depot. Read it cover to cover (skip the chapter on farm wiring).

Old 12-04-04, 07:40 AM
dennisjonescon.
Visiting Guest
Most people refer to residential wire as "Romex". It is a brand name of a wire made in Rome, NY. Generally 14 gauge wire is used for lighting and 12 gauge is for recptacles. Remember that wire size decreases as the number increases. Follow the advice of the following post on location and you'll be ok. You can never have enough receptalces. My wife had me put one at every window (exterior) for Christmas lights. What do I do with all these extra cords now.

Old 12-04-04, 08:37 AM
jayp6773
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thanks a bunch

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me out with my last question. I think I'm going to go with Romex 14 guage wire. Thanks for the help again.
Jay

Old 12-05-04, 09:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
14 gauge is fine for lighting, but you really should use 12 gauge for receptacles.

Chris