110v to 220v

Old 12-04-04, 09:19 AM
Clamslayer
Visiting Guest
110v to 220v

How can I tell if I can wire my box in the basement from 110 to 220. the box hase a very large braided wire comming in from the pole and I asume it's the common ground. The box looks like it came from a machine shop. It has double rows of breakers.

Thanks Mike

ps the house was built in 1939

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-04, 09:43 AM
Is this panel is wired directly from the power company wires, or is this a subpanel off your main panel)? Is this your only panel or do you also have one or more others? You seem to think that this is a 120-volt panel, but how did you come to that conclusion? It would help if you would carefully remove the panel cover (only if you feel comfortable doing so and only if you realize that if you're not careful you won't be back to report) and tell us about the large heavy wires coming in--how many, how big, copper or aluminum, and where they connect.

Old 12-04-04, 11:29 AM
If your box really is only 120 volt there is only one way to make it 240. Change it and you entire service and meter.

Old 12-05-04, 10:41 AM
Clamslayer
Visiting Guest
110-220 v panel

Well I don't see any 220 service at all in the house. No drier(this is what I want to install) electric stove heaters or other appliances. This is a pretty old house ,it was built durring the depression. As for the box the lines come right into the panel no other sub panels or box. It's a double row of breakers and the big wire that I mentioned I think is the common ground. I can olny see the one copper wire the rest my be behind the box.It's heavy copper and it looks like 1- 1 1/4 thick. This wire is attached to each breaker with smaller copper wires. Yes I'm not afraid of doing this my self I wired some of the house and the garage with no problems. I test everything with a multi tester befor I mess with anything.

Thanks Mike

Old 12-05-04, 10:54 AM
Just use your multi-tester and put one lead on one row of breakers and the other on the other row and you should get 110 or 220. It is very unlikely that the house is only 110v. I have only seen one service that was 110v and it was in a trailer park. Get this guys... from the pedestal there was a 10awg wire feeding the entire trailer(gas appliances) on one side of a two pole breaker shared with another trailer. Scary!!

Just because it works doesn't mean it's done Right

Old 12-05-04, 12:05 PM
Willy's directions are correct, but "row of breakers" might be misunderstood. From one breaker to another will either yield 240 volts or 0 volts--it should never read 120 volts. And two breakers in the same row will always read 0 volts (in most panels), even if you have 240 volt service. You might have better luck trying to find 240 between the two main lugs. Better yet, if you can post a digital picture of the inside of your panel, we can better judge what you have. Be very careful taking the panel cover off so you don't electrocute yourself.

Concluding that you don't have 240-volt service just because you don't have any 240-volt appliances is unwarranted.

If you really don't have 240-volt service, you won't be able to get it without substantial help from your power company.

Old 12-05-04, 02:48 PM
Can you see the feed wire from the pole to your house. If it only has 2 wires including the bare support wire then you are correct. You only have 120 volt service.