Size of Wire for a 240V, 40A Cooktop

Old 12-04-04, 10:50 PM
hth
Size of Wire for a 240V, 40A Cooktop

I am looking to replace an old cokktop. The new one requires a 220V, 40A circuit. I am not sure what the current wire size is. Technically what gauge is used for 220V, 40A circuit? My old (current) cooktop is wired directely to a box then a breaker so I can't see the wires. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-04, 12:34 AM
rwrobs777
Visiting Guest
8 Gauge for 40 AMP

Old 12-05-04, 05:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Generally #8 copper for 40 amps.
Many older installations used #6 or #8 aluminum SE cable for ranges.

Old 12-05-04, 08:51 PM
hth
thanks.
So is it OK to keep the #6 or #8 aluminum SE cable if I have them? I am not in the field so not familiar with the term. It' is just about 3 yards from the breaker to the range so it wouldn't be a problem to replace it.

Old 12-06-04, 08:54 AM
Is the range circuit three wire or four?

Since the line is easily replaced you should check to see how many conductors are in the circuit that supplies the range. For many years the neutral conductor of range and dryer circuits were used to ground the non current carrying metal frame of the appliance. Since the load on the neutral is very light compared to it's gage it was thought to be a safe practice. Now as these circuits age the hazard is becoming clear. If the neutral goes open the entire shell of the appliance is energized at 120 volts. As a result of this experience the US NEC has been changed to require a separate Equipment Grounding Conductor (EGC) for these appliances. When this is done the only consequence of an open neutral is that the appliance stops functioning. If the wiring to your appliance is only three conductor then replace it with a four conductor wiring method.

Keep in mind that if the present wiring is type AC cable that has a bonding strip inside the armor that the armor can serve as the EGC.
--
Tom H

Old 12-06-04, 10:29 AM
hth
it's 3 wires. I will have it replaced. Thanks.