Another quick question on wiring

Old 12-06-04, 10:05 AM
jayp6773
Visiting Guest
Question Help!! One quick question on wiring outlets

quick question on wiring outlets I'm using 12 guage wire.... Can I use the same wire to go from the breaker box to an outlet, to a switch, to a light, then to another outlet and yet another light. or do I need to use seperate wires. I'm using a seperate breaker.
Thanks again
Jay

Last edited by jayp6773; 12-06-04 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-06-04, 11:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I assume you are talking romex (NM-B) and that you mean that you can run the same type of cable for all outlets and lights. If that is the case then the answer is a qualified yes. There are special rules certain areas of the house like kitchens and baths. If you mean that run a single cable run point to point exactly as you have described, the answer is no. The switch and light will cause you problems as you will need a switched wire for power to the light and a constant power wire for the downstream outlet.

Old 12-06-04, 12:01 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
We need to know what the switch is intended to control. If you are referring to running the cable as follows:

Power->unswitched receptacle->switch->switched light->unswitched receptacles->switched light

with the switch controlling both lights but neither of the receptacles, then this is possible but quite unusual and quite uncommon (and not recommended by me). You'd need to use 12/2 up to the switch and 12/3 up to the last unswitched receptacle, and then 12/2 from there. Quite goofy in my opinion.

Much more logical and common would be:

Power->unswitched receptacle->switch->unswitched receptacle, and
switch->switched light->switched light

Old 12-06-04, 01:10 PM
jayp6773
Visiting Guest
Red face

I am using 12 guage romex... I'm going from power to outlet to outlet to unswitched light to switch to switched light. the unswitched light is a pull string, single bulb closet light. Is this correct? I hope so...

Old 12-06-04, 01:37 PM
J
Sounds fine.

However, because are wiring receptacles and lights on the same circuit, you will have to accept the fact that the lights will flicker when you use the vacuum cleaner or clothes iron or space heater or hair dryer on the same circuit. It's not unsafe, but it annoys some people more than others.

If any of this is in a kitchen, dining room, laundry area, bathroom, garage, or unfinished basement, now would be a good time to mention that.

Old 12-06-04, 03:11 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You cannot place a single bulb open light in a clothes closet. It is not safe and violates cade. It is a real fire hazard. If this is a clothes closes then you need a closed light (something with a cover over it).

If this is not a clothes closet then I still recommend a light with a closed cover.

Old 12-06-04, 03:31 PM
J
Unless it's fluorescent, of course.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: