Wiring question for medicine cabinet lights

Old 12-06-04, 11:38 AM
spawlish
Visiting Guest
Wiring question for medicine cabinet lights

Last night, I replace a recessed medicine cabinet with a surface mounted medicine cabinet and ran into a small wiring problem. The old light was mounted directly against the drywall and thus covered the junction box in the wall. The wires from the light ran directly into the junction box in the wall and that's where the junction was.

The problem is that the new light is attached to the surface mounted medicine cabinet and is about 3 inches away from the wall. So, the wires from the medicine cabinet are essentially dangling between the cabinet and the junction box. The junction is in the junction box, but there is no cover on the junction box (since the old lights functioned as the cover).

So, what do I do? Do I get a cover with a knockout and run the wires from the lights through the knockout and do the junction in the junction box? If so, what do use for strain relief on the wires from the light since the wires from the light have no sheathing?

Since this is behind the cabinet, do I not worry about? But, isn't against the NEC? Don't I need a box cover of some sort?

Thanks for your input!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-04, 01:33 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
Cut a hole in the back of your medicine cabinet that aligns with the junction box. If that isn't possible, move the junction box to where you can do it. After you have cut your hole, make a removable cover out of the cutout. Wire it through a knockout already in your junction box and put a cover on the junction box that can be secured.

You could also re-run the line if you have access to it or if there slack on the electric line and it can reach to the new lights without the junction box, just get rid of it all together.

There are other options.

Old 12-06-04, 02:03 PM
spawlish
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response. Judging by your answer, I'm not sure I explained it quite right. The medicine cabinet has a hole in the back, through which the hot, neutral and ground wires are running without sheathing. The hole is directly in front of the junction box. The junction box is not visible from the floor, but is visible if you stand on the vanity and look behind the medicine cabinet. I could add a cover to the junction box and even get a plate with a knockout, but can I just run the three unsheathed wires through the knockout without strain relief?

Thanks again.

Old 12-06-04, 02:29 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
You have to have the junction box permanently accessable. It cannot be concealed by the medicine cabinet because the medicine cabinet is a permanent fixture. So, you need to leave an access panel that is the same size or bigger than the size of the junction box. You can do this so it is easily removable and still looks good. There are various other posts where this is an issue. Juicehead explains this same concept quite well in a post called "making romex longer" or the equivalen to that title.