can I make the romex longer

Old 12-06-04, 01:16 PM
jayp6773
Visiting Guest
Red face can I make the romex longer

It seems that i'm gonna end up about 10 feet shy on the romex that I used for wiring a couple lights and a couple sockets.... I have more so can I just connet the two ends with a junction box? It seems logical to me but I figured I'd better make sure.
Jay

Old 12-06-04, 01:19 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
You can use a junction box but it cannot be sealed so it isn't readily accessable.

Old 12-06-04, 01:29 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Clarification: By "sealed" I'm sure SkyKing means it cannot be concealed with no means of access, such as being sheetrocked into the wall. The key here is being able to get to those terminations if anything ever goes wrong with your terminations. All terminations must be permanently accessible. For an extension of one romex cable, a regular single-gang box, such as you would have for a light switch or receptacle, will do. If you are going tp put in where you have finished walls or ceilings, install the box as you would a switch or receptacle box, flush with the wall or ceiling finish, then put a blank wallplate on it. If it is in a basement with open joists and you don't finish the ceiling, you can mount just about any sort of box with a cover, because you can access it any time.

Juice

Old 12-06-04, 01:35 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
Thanks juice, that's what I meant. I was at a loss for proper terminology.

Old 12-06-04, 01:43 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There is absolutely no doubt that I'd go back to the store and buy a longer piece of cable rather than install an extra junction box (you don't have to--I'm just expressing a preference). Or if I did use the junction box, I'd at least put a receptacle in it so it would be worth something.

Old 12-06-04, 01:49 PM
J
SkyKing,

I try to imagine that many are not familiar with some of our terminology. Sealed made sense to me immediately. For many, I thought that extra syllable would help them understand. ( - sealed vs. concealed)

Juice

Old 12-06-04, 01:55 PM
J
John Nelson,

I would agree. I screwed myself that way about once, now I usually buy romex by the 100' or 250' roll. Before cutting it, I pull off about three extra feet, then I pull off an additional couple feet.

I use the waste for stuff like pigtails and device ground-to-box bonding.

Wire's cheap, mistakes are costly.

Juice

Old 12-06-04, 01:55 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
Very true. After I re-read the post (actually while I was writing the post) I realized it was confusing on many levels.

One, I used a double negative in the sentance, that's always easy to follow...

Two, my diction sucked.. sealed indicates that he should not put a protective cover on it! AHHH.

Thanks for the correction! That post needed it.

Old 12-07-04, 08:39 AM
jayp6773
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

You guys are too hard on yourselves. I knew what he meant. It is in a basement on a joist. Further more... That is a great idea to go ahead and throw a recepticle (plug thingy dooey)... In there while i'm at it. You guys are more help than you can imagine. I really, really, appreciate it. Now all I have to do is hook the wires into the breaker box. I am intimidated by the damn thing. I don't wanna get juiced....lol.
Thanks,
Jay

Old 12-07-04, 10:31 AM
J
Hooking it into the breaker box is not that difficult. It can be dangerous if you are not careful, though. If you kill the main breaker that'll help. But there are still some live parts in there, so proceed with caution and don't touch anything metal. It'll help if your basement floor is dry, you have shoes on, and if you can get a rubber-backed rug under you this will give you a little added safety, but don't assume you are then bulletproof.

Also, I strongly recommend keeping one hand in your back pocket while you work.

With the panel face off you should see the terminal screw on the side of your breaker. It is recessed. Carefully insert your stripped black wire in the clamp and tighten the screw. (Try not to touch the metal shaft of your screwdriver.) Then place the white wire then the ground. If your grounds and neutral are on separate buses, connect them in their respective buses. If the grounds and neutrals are all on the same bus, but them both there. (If there's no other disconnect or panel feeding this panel it is your main panel and it's OK to mix. If there is, G & N must be separate.)

Good luck, and be careful.

Juice

Old 12-08-04, 10:36 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
JuiceHead had some excellent advice, especially about keeping one hand in your pocket when possible. I would like to add one more tip. Take off any watches, rings, or bracelets, etc. Skin contact with a live electrical circuit may or may not be a killer, depending on circumstances. Jewelry can aggrivate the situation dramatically.

Good luck,

Old 12-10-04, 10:12 AM
J
Randy,

You raised a very important safety issue. Watches, rings, jewelry around electrical work is indeed very, very dangerous. Good catch.

Juice

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: